Talk

Advanced search

Corner house - moving front door to the other road

(13 Posts)
cantmakecarrotcake Sat 13-Apr-13 20:40:03

We're considering buying a house on a corner plot. The gable end faces Road A, which is the house's address. Currently the 'front' door is on the side of the house. We would want to reconfigure the inside, including relocating the front door to the other side of the house. In doing so access would be from Road B.

What is the council likely to say when we apply for planning permission to do the work? Is there an issue with having the front door on a different road to the house's address? Would we need to/could we change the address?

I'm sure someone out there has either done it or works in planning. Thanks in advance.

Yorky Sun 14-Apr-13 07:48:23

I have no experience of this, but our front door (and all the ones on our street) is at the back of the house, facing onto a footpath. I think they were designed just to pull the car into the back garden from the actual address street iyswim.
We are currently building an extension and adding a porch to the back door but planning never questionned it. Will leave the letterbox where it is though

Jaynebxl Sun 14-Apr-13 07:51:41

Which side is your garden gate on, out of interest? Or would you move that too? I'd have thought changing the address would be unnecessary as the house itself won't have moved.

magimedi Sun 14-Apr-13 14:07:05

I would think you would just need to alert the Post Office, so as not to confuse the postie. Can't see why council would object.

auntpetunia Sun 14-Apr-13 14:10:29

My friends house is like this whole front of house on one road and door on side road, she just has a sign …16 blogs Avenue by the front gate which is also on the side road. Doesn't seem to cause any problem.

AliceWChild Sun 14-Apr-13 14:30:34

Yorky that's called radburn layout where the separation of pedestrians and vehicles was a priority. Has a whole interesting philosophy and history behind it if you're into that kind of thing.

Don't know the answer to the OP though, sorry.

flow4 Sun 14-Apr-13 17:24:26

That's interesting alice. Do you have any further info, please? I've googles, but found nothing very clear... I've put an offer in on a house where the road access and garage are on one side, but the front door and garden are on the other... It's part of an estate where a lot - but not all - of the properties are laid out like this - a sort of 'modified Radburn layout' I guess! I've been curious about what would count as the 'principle elevation' in planning terms - i.e. which side I might be allowed to build an extension!

QuintessentialOHara Sun 14-Apr-13 17:26:30

Not sure you could change the address, as there would not be a house number available on the road with the new door?

Unless you wanted to go for something Novel as Nr 0.5 Spencer Gardens, or 40.5 Wilson Avenue.

cantmakecarrotcake Sun 14-Apr-13 17:35:19

Thanks folks, doesn't seem to be too much of an issue then.

Jaynebxl, the house has 3 garden gates, so I'm not sure where that would leave us!

AliceWChild Sun 14-Apr-13 18:14:36

Here's a link flow www.radburn.org/geninfo/history.html

Would be interesting to know what the planners decide, you could argue either were depending on what ideas you drew on.

flow4 Sun 14-Apr-13 20:14:51

Thanks Alice smile Interesting that Radburn is a real town...
If I actually get the house, I'll ask the planners what they think and report back smile

AliceWChild Mon 15-Apr-13 12:58:38

Please do flow. I'm genuinely that sad interested.

EasterHoliday Mon 15-Apr-13 13:01:14

similar but not the same but I know people who changed the number of hteir house (from 13 to "12a" or 12 1/2) and the most important part was notifying the emergency services.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now