Talk

Advanced search

how to sell a sad house

(14 Posts)
ziggystarrust Sat 13-Apr-13 14:20:29

We need to sell our house and move to be near my elderly parents

EuroShaggleton Sat 13-Apr-13 14:21:15

You might need to give a leeeetle more info as to what you mean by a "sad house"....

LynetteScavo Sat 13-Apr-13 14:22:43

A fresh coat of paint on all the walls?

De-clutter?

How sad is it?

Ask you EA what they think you need to do.

MandragoraWurzelstock Sat 13-Apr-13 14:23:59

Sorry to hear this. What's up with it - what would you like advice about?

raspberryroop Sat 13-Apr-13 14:32:25

A little counselling maybe or Ad's - exercise is good and a new hobby ?

ziggystarrust Sat 13-Apr-13 14:33:18

re how to sell sad house - dog on lap and nudged keyboard!!
We need to sell to be near my elderly parents.....our house could be a lovely house but DH rubbish at DIY so bits are falling off here and there plus he starts projects and loses interest angry Bathroom half done ditto kitchen.We need to brighten up on a miniscule budget. Plus points old house large rooms big garden

MandragoraWurzelstock Sat 13-Apr-13 14:39:16

Ooh sounds like ours smile

What you should do is finish the bathroom and kitchen, just basic stuff. clear up and pack away clutter,

floors and surfaces clear helps a LOT

anything unfinished needs to be kind of made safe, and tidied up a bit

Plants in pots by front door can help

YoniMcShoni Sat 13-Apr-13 14:51:37

While is nice to be able to 'stage' a house its not always possible nor necessary. It still comes down to location first and then price /value . A large family house near schools and shops is

Declutter and clean everything so that each room is sparkling. Dirt and clutter stops people seeing the rooms for themselves.

Make sure the rooms are as bright as they can be - plenty of natural light -draw back the curtains and clean the windows to maximise what light there is. Cut back any bushes outside that stop light coming through.Brighten up dark walls with neutral light coloured paint and perhaps a large mirror depending on location.

Declutter the hallway to make sure the first impression is of useable space.

Ask around and get a handyman in for a day to do all those little niggly things that need putting right .It worth it just to know they are all done and dont need to be apologized for

lisad123everybodydancenow Sat 13-Apr-13 14:54:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ziggystarrust Sat 13-Apr-13 15:04:44

thanks for advice
we are in a good location, on a crescent with grass and trees to front and backing on to a large recreation ground with swings, football pitch etc. Houses sell pretty quickly but ours is an embarrassment IMHO.
We are broke so really can't afford much. Is it a good idea to leave kitchen and bathroom unfinished and to take a hit on the price and if so what to knock off??!! I' m really stressing about this and parents health issues forces quick sale....I'm an only so it's all a massive worrysad

lisad123everybodydancenow Sat 13-Apr-13 15:54:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lalalonglegs Sat 13-Apr-13 16:42:09

It sounds an idyllic location - price it realistically and someone will buy it. Lots of people prefer doer-uppers.

Jan49 Sat 13-Apr-13 17:47:30

I sold my house last year. The bathroom and kitchen were dire, so the estate agent just took photos of the other rooms for the brochure. I decluttered a bit and moved some stuff to the garage to make the rooms look bigger, although in fact we ended up selling to someone who only saw the house after we'd moved out leaving it empty. The whole house needed decorating and new carpets but lots of people seem to want to put their own stamp on a new home and are not put off by that. Location and general room sizes and scope for extensions seem more important. It sounds like your house has got a lot going for it.

An identical house to ours in the same street sold for the same amount as ours despite being in much better decorative ordersmile.

formicaqueen Sat 13-Apr-13 17:49:55

I think you need to decide between taking a hit on the price or stumping up for someone to finish the unfinished work.

Also tidy it up, declutter and clean so people can see the space. Lick of cream/white paint if you think it might help?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now