Talk

Advanced search

How do I find replacement tiles? and improve my cutting technique?

(5 Posts)
Isabeller Sat 13-Apr-13 11:22:01

Please help, I'm confused.

After major replumbing the bath is a few cm higher and I need to cut the carefully removed patterned tiles to fit the smaller gap. The previous owners left a few spares but I'm finding them really hard to cut and a lot have broken.

I'm using an old wickes tile cutter and may well be doing something wrong. About half I've tried to cut with it have broken, I resorted to using it to score the tile then nibbling off the extra bit.

Is there any way to track down a pattern? I have no idea where they were originally bought.

I've attempted to put a picture on my profile.

I'm going to practice my technique on some plain tiles but I'd feel a lot more confident if I could get some patterned spares.

fossil971 Sat 13-Apr-13 23:33:19

Topps tiles do a good score-and-snap cutter for a few pounds. Cutting thin strips is a killer though, you might be better to hire/borrow an electric cutter. It's a kind of water tank with a cutting disk above.

There are millions of tiles out there so you would be lucky to find a match unless they are quite new or possibly a well known range who don't discontinue that often. Any hint on the back of the tile or a box?

You may need to set your profile to visible by the way.

nocake Sun 14-Apr-13 08:01:49

Definitely get an electric cutter to do thin strips.

Isabeller Sun 14-Apr-13 19:28:39

Thank you so much, very useful advice - sorry for getting profile setting wrong blush

NotAnotherNewNappy Sun 14-Apr-13 23:49:43

I second an electric cutter. I got a great one or approx £40, made cutting thin strips quick & easy and it's a lot cheaper than having to replace all the tiles as you've broken all your matching ones!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now