Talk

Advanced search

Bed or other ideas for a very small room

(19 Posts)
fruitpastille Fri 12-Apr-13 22:54:42

Hi, coming out of lurkerdom for advice on DDs (age 3.5) bedroom.

It is 5.5 x 8.5 if you ignore skirting. The window is on one long side (with radiator underneath) and the door is at one end of the other long side. It used to be much bigger but the previous owners put in an attic conversion so the space was used for stairs.

Until a few months ago we had a toddler bed against the short side at the far end but she is quite tall so when we were given (by well meaning in laws) a normal size single we put that in instead on the long side where it just fits before you get to the door entrance. This means she has only a couple of foot next to the bed and a little bit of space near the door (there is currrently a small chest of drawers there).

Does anyone have any inspiration for a smaller bed - I am worried that a cabin bed could make the space feel a bit claustrophobic? Also she is a bit young. I have been googling but not really getting anywhere!

Also any storage/nice design ideas welcome!

Thanks for reading.

quoteunquote Fri 12-Apr-13 23:20:36

www.apartmenttherapy.com/loft-bed-with-closet-underneat-161518

maybe a little lower.

Cremolafoam Fri 12-Apr-13 23:25:11

Ikea do a bed that's just 80cm wide that extends . Might give you a bit more space. It has a 3 part mattress
[[ http://m.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/spr/59827956/ here]]

Cremolafoam Fri 12-Apr-13 23:25:34

sorry here

stealthsquiggle Fri 12-Apr-13 23:30:12

We put DS into a mid-height cabin bed at 3.5 and he was fine.

That's a teeny bit bigger than my childhood bedroom. How high is the ceiling? Can you do hanging storage, etc?

LadyLech Fri 12-Apr-13 23:40:47

My youngest daughter has got the box room, so we bought her a shorty mid sleeper. It's smaller than a normal single bed, so ideal for small bedrooms. We got her a storage unit to go under the bed (stores 6 large plastic boxes of toys + large case of dressing up clothes next to it) and this leaves the rest of the room for playing in. She has been in her midsleeper bed from about 3/4 years, and now at 6/7 has still got plenty of room. We want be buying her a new bed for years to come yet.

www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7381416.htm

fruitpastille Sat 13-Apr-13 00:15:04

Thank you!

quoteunquote That loft bed looks amazing but not sure where I can source something similar.

Cremolafoam Tempted by the Ikea one as I could put it at the end of the room at it's shortest setting but not sure how long DD would actually be able to sleep in it.

Stealthsquiggle Can't measure at the mo but it's pretty standard ceiling height - 8ft perhaps? Any good hanging ideas?!

LadyLech Looks like a good option - I will get out the tape measure tomorrow to help try to visualise it in the room.

It's tricky as I don't know if this room will always be used as a bedroom. Considering 3rd DC and if it was another girl then the two DDs would share a different larger room posibly... That's a lot of ifs though!

quoteunquote Sat 13-Apr-13 00:27:39

why not get a carpenter to give you a quote, if you custom build you always get better use of small spaces.

noisytoys Sat 13-Apr-13 10:10:21

DDs share a room about that size they have bunk beds and nothing else in there we store their clothes in our room it makes their room feel bigger.

Meglet Sat 13-Apr-13 10:20:48

DD has a tiny 6ft x 6ft boxroom and she has the Ikea minnen extendable bed. It's on the middle setting and measures 178cm.

There is storage space underneath.

MinimalistMommi Sat 13-Apr-13 12:09:04

I would say have something custom built, with a custom made mattress (my sister has just had a custom mattress made and it was £100)

I think a cabin bed will make it claustrophobic! More visual space being taken up. If anything, I would go lower and have a custom made floor bed, or slightly raised from floor. Then it can be used for sitting on/play/general rolling about more easy!

MinimalistMommi Sat 13-Apr-13 12:10:08

I also think ikea extendable bed very good idea. Although I have heard mixed reviews about comfort of that mattress.

Jaynebxl Sat 13-Apr-13 23:19:37

Fruitpastille we have the ikea bed cremola posted about and it lasts forever because you can extend it to full adult length. There are 3 options, kind of toddler size, mid and normal length. We have it in black for both our DC and we love it.

OhHullitsOnlyMeYoni Sat 13-Apr-13 23:26:27

This one is pretty cheap www.amazon.co.uk/Tippitoes-WJ2-Junior-Bed-White/dp/B003MQLVXE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2JEL5CNRFIHU6&coliid=I1X0RJ4KTMYE9B and looks like you could put under bed drawers under it for storage?

poodletip Sat 13-Apr-13 23:29:36

My DD had the argos shorty midsleeper in her tiny room from the age of 4. I think seeing more floor really helps it seem like there's more space in the room.

serin Sat 13-Apr-13 23:39:54

I would have something made from cheap pine that I could paint.

You would be amazed how cost effective this can be.

Serafinaaa Sat 13-Apr-13 23:43:25

Any of these any good?
www.dfsbeds.co.uk/catalog/childrens-beds/mid-sleeper-beds.html

formicaqueen Sat 13-Apr-13 23:43:48

get something made to measure?

fruitpastille Sat 13-Apr-13 23:47:43

Thanks everyone. I spent a bit of time in DDs room with a tape measure this morning! The ikea extending bed wouldn't fit across the short end of the room except in shortest mode so not good long term. I think the argos one seems best as we could have some drawers and shelves underneath plus a bit of play space. I like that it is not too high so hopefully not too imposing. Just need to get painting now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now