Talk

Advanced search

query about landlord restricting access to a rented property

(9 Posts)
my2chinagirlsandme Fri 12-Apr-13 19:17:36

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Do any MNers know whether a landlord can dictate who a tenant can give keys to a rented property to enable access when the tenant is not there - in this case a cleaner? I am renting for 6 months, under contract, but with the landlord managing the property themselves. The cleaner was previously employed by the landlord, but the landlord now not happy to allow access. I am trying to find out why this may be so, but in the meantime I would like to know whether landlord can dictate access in this way?

narmada Fri 12-Apr-13 19:19:29

You need to look at the terms of your contract and see if says anything relevant there.

Ragwort Fri 12-Apr-13 19:20:53

I've got a feeling that there can be something like this in the small print of a contract; my DPs are currently renting and I said I would like to go & stay a few nights when they are away but they got all uptight about it not being allowed in the contract etc etc etc hmm.

Still, it sounds as though there might be some previous issue with this cleaner that you perhaps need to be aware of?

specialsubject Fri 12-Apr-13 20:00:23

it sounds like the landlord isn't happy with the cleaner for some reason!

my2chinagirlsandme Fri 12-Apr-13 20:12:23

Thank you for your replies! Unfortunately my landlord won't say what the issue is, just a rather vague displeasure and a request that I get the keys back from the cleaner (ie sack her).

My lease has no restrictions on who can be given keys, only a specific clause prohibiting subletting; and another stating that all keys must be returned to the landlord at the end of the tenancy.

I feel I am being put in a difficult position, as I would have to sack the cleaner without due cause from me.The cleaner was recommended to me by my landlord, but they have obviously fallen out since.

narmada Fri 12-Apr-13 20:32:30

If it's not in your lease and your landlord won't tell you what's up, then do nothing. Shelter are really good for advice on this sort of thing.

nocake Fri 12-Apr-13 22:32:03

If you're not breaking the terms of your tenancy, and it sounds like you're not, your LL can't tell you what you can or can't do. I would ignore him as he can't evict you.

my2chinagirlsandme Sat 13-Apr-13 04:12:41

Thank you all for your advice, that was very helpful: I will sit tight for now, and wait to see if my LL provides any further relevant information.

thistlelicker Sat 13-Apr-13 04:31:53

If they are employee perhaps of ll discussed he would be
Breaking confidentiality? Why can't u accept he's probably got
Good intentions to ask for the keys and leave it at that. ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now