Talk

Advanced search

Houses in Home Counties to west of London for £1m

(22 Posts)
deliakate Fri 12-Apr-13 17:32:13

Please find me one, are there any Phil and Kirsty types on here? Or anyone flogging one?

blue2 Fri 12-Apr-13 17:32:59

Exactly for £1 million? Or could it be more?

deliakate Fri 12-Apr-13 17:43:57

It could be more if there was a little room for negotiation. We are looking at up to 1.2

deliakate Fri 12-Apr-13 17:51:29

Poss more, I'm not entirely sure what dh has exactly planned

wheredidiputit Fri 12-Apr-13 18:10:49

What areas are you thinking

MintyyAeroEgg Fri 12-Apr-13 18:15:48

Is it that difficult to put your requirements into RightMove? Because that's all that Mumsnet will do for you, unless they happen to have a £1.2m house in the Home Counties to the West of London which they are thinking of popping on the market.

mummytime Fri 12-Apr-13 18:27:55

Lots around here for that price. But what do you want? Country or town, or edge of town. Where do you need to get to? State or private schools, or no school? How much land? How many bed rooms, bathrooms? Do you want a granny annex? Outbuildings?

LexyMa Fri 12-Apr-13 18:40:42

you could self build too. And get on the tellybox if you are interesting enough.

deliakate Fri 12-Apr-13 18:43:55

Need to commute into London and be handy for the M40 or M4. We are looking for a small plot actually, because we aren't massive gardeners. Been on right move for yonks now, but feel every avenue is worth a shot.

deliakate Fri 12-Apr-13 18:49:20

Mummytime, where are you (ish)? We def want private schools, minimum 4 bedrooms, land not important, quite flexible on whether its town or edge of village location. BUT needs to be near a station within an hour of London, so that clearly bumps up prices and narrows our options.

Dededum Fri 12-Apr-13 18:51:18

Ah well look at Guildford, 35 minutes to Waterloo. Great private schools, especially for girls. Boys more tricky.

deliakate Fri 12-Apr-13 18:57:37

Will look into Guildford. Dh is refusing to be on the telly sad

RandomMess Fri 12-Apr-13 18:59:40

Check out Weybridge as well

LexyMa Fri 12-Apr-13 20:03:33

Gerrards Cross, Little Chalfont, Denham would be my suggestions. Actually Denham would be top of the list in that area.

mummytime Fri 12-Apr-13 21:57:36

Guildford. If you want town centre, or just out a bit, you can get for that price. If you have a boy he needs to be bright for private secondary, but the state options aren't bad or he will have to commute out at secondary. Girls need to be bright but there are more girls schools closer for secondary, and not too bad a commute.

If you are definitely going private then Wodeland Avenue or even Rydes Hill could be worth looking at. But there are a few houses in the real town centre for just under 1m at present, that look pretty nice to me.
this one very nice road or this one, private road, 5 minutes from the town or this one or this one on the other side of the river

deliakate Fri 12-Apr-13 22:09:54

Thanks mummy time. Some look to have real potential. I take your word for it they are in nice, sought after roads, as I don't know the area at all.....

jennywren45 Sat 13-Apr-13 21:27:04

I'm not entirely sure what dh has exactly planned

Do you not share such an enormous decision?

deliakate Sat 13-Apr-13 21:37:21

It's complicated

CaipirinhasAllRound Sun 14-Apr-13 16:13:52

Guildford isn't near the m4 or m40.
Maidenhead is smack in between, no idea about schools though
Windsor?

MrsJamin Sun 14-Apr-13 21:38:58

Pangbourne? Close to M4 and can commute from there to london Paddington.

jennywren45 Mon 15-Apr-13 12:39:25

Are you part owner delia? Will you be on the deeds?

EasterHoliday Mon 15-Apr-13 12:49:43

well smack between the M4 and M40 with a short commute in are Hedgerley, Stoke Poges
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-39627695.html
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/Stoke-Poges.html?index=10

Gerrards Cross as suggested above is in the area, has good schools but is ludicrously overpriced and not very nice so suggest looking around there, like Hedgerley / SP where your cash will go much further. Ditto Little Chalfont / Chalfont St Peter etc - however you're the other side of the M40 so further away from M4 but the train from GX takes less than half an hour to Marylebone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now