Talk

Advanced search

How much should a removal cost?

(19 Posts)
AugustaProdworthy Fri 12-Apr-13 14:53:30

Quoted today for a full pack so I knew it would be a bit pricier than a man with a van but...
Is quote a lot more than I imagined and we have no big stuff like pianos or large furniture.
Please can you tell me how much your was and for the size of house please?

bamboobutton Fri 12-Apr-13 14:57:51

Moved from 4 bed to 3 bed on other side of city(norwich) removal only so we did the packing and unpacking = 700 pounds. That was a local company, pickfords etc were a lot more, about 1000 pounds.

Kt8791 Fri 12-Apr-13 15:07:06

Use a local company, we moved from a 2 bed and pickfords wanted £1300. We packed ourselves and paid £600 for local company to move us. Get lots if quotes mine ranged from£500 to £1500 (we are in the SE). Good luck

Sparklegeek Fri 12-Apr-13 17:40:06

4-bed moving to 5-bed locally here. Have negotiated price down to £1000 including packing. I do have tons of stuff though (5 receps!)

DreamySleepyNightySnoozySnooze Fri 12-Apr-13 17:43:54

We're moving soon, from a 2 bed to a 3 bed house. We've been quoted £52 an hour + Vat, and £750 total + Vat. As we're moving less than a mile down the road I know which company we'll be going with!

Jan49 Fri 12-Apr-13 20:08:54

We recently moved 180 miles. We used a local removal company (in London). We paid about £600 for them to move everything into their storage warehouse locally. We paid £1200 for them to move it from storage to the new house. Both houses 3 bed 2 reception, about 100 boxes but not a lot of big furniture. We did our own packing and unpacking. Another company quoted a similar price. Pickfords' and another local company's quotations were double. I think Pickfords also quoted around £200 for packing.

CheckpointCharlie Fri 12-Apr-13 20:11:33

We used a local company to move us from a three bed to a four bed about 250m down the road. We were quoted £700 for a half pack, ie they packed the whole kitchen because I was working! They were fantastic and if you are anywhere eastern i can highly recommend them. And they brought their own tea and sugar and gave us a happy moving card and a bottle of Jacobs creek!!!!!!!!

Misty9 Sat 13-Apr-13 00:08:29

Moved from one three bed house to another on other side of city (also Norwich), used man with van so paid by the hour. Cost £360 in total and the two blokes were great.

In contrast, moved 250 miles from 3 bed to 4 bed and removals only for two day job came to £950 - but they did very helpful things like come back for the beds the day of the move having packed everything else the day before. Wanted full pack (7wo baby) but pickfords quoted nearly £3k shock so did it ourselves in one week!

AugustaProdworthy Sun 28-Apr-13 13:58:15

Been quoted by two companies now. Both around 2k for full pack of a three bed house, garage etc and moving locally. It does seem a lot...

GhostOfTheRobot Sun 28-Apr-13 14:23:22

Watching with interest.
Am shock at the Pickfords quotes! Moving to next county soon and that price is giving me chills.

georgedawes Sun 28-Apr-13 14:25:47

Whereabouts are you?

BillComptonstrousers Sun 28-Apr-13 14:31:06

I'm moving in a couple of weeks,from a four to five bedroom, from London to the north east. The guys are coming from Newcastle (we have used them twice before) they will drive down on Thursday, stay at the travel lodge so will be here first thing on the Friday. Pack everything then drive back to Newcastle, keep it in storage overnight, then deliver the stuff first thing on Saturday. So two nights away and full packing service £1800

AugustaProdworthy Sun 28-Apr-13 19:51:13

I had heard that one large company, who have not quoted for us, are in administration or similar do we didn't ask them.
We had one from a firm that looks pricey and then a small local family run one and both came out with same price.
I will get a third firm in this week. Seems so much money for a move ten minutes down the road!

patchesmcp Sun 28-Apr-13 20:14:55

Bill can I ask who you are using please?

AnythingNotEverything Sun 28-Apr-13 20:33:32

We used Pickfords a year ago for a very local move in Leeds - in fact less than a mile! They did a full pack, and dismantled and rebuilt beds and a triple wardrobe. It was about £800 from a two bed to a four bed, and the local firms were a very similar price iirc.

beancounting Sun 28-Apr-13 21:55:11

Have you looked at reallymoving.com? It's a website that lets you put your old and new postcodes in with rough details re the amount of stuff you're moving, and then companies contact you with estimates (and then send someone out to do a proper quote). We moved about 10 days ago and found our movers through them (although also had a personal recommendation for the company we used) - they were very good and charged £450 (excluding packing). We had a 3 bed house (crammed full) - about 50 boxes plus a lot of furniture and garden stuff so that seemed very reasonable. We're in the Midlands though which might make it cheaper.

BillComptonstrousers Mon 29-Apr-13 14:08:58

It's Rapid Transport in Newcastle.

Misty9 Mon 29-Apr-13 18:25:49

I think local and national companies do come up similar in quotes if they're official removals companies. The cheaper option has always been man with van type businesses so they're definitely worth checking out. Not sure if they'll do packing, maybe. Is there anyway you could pack yourself? We got boxes for £60 (enough for 3bed house) online and did it over two weeks. There again, we have moved 8 times in 5 yrs! shock

LondonRemovals Mon 02-May-16 20:11:47

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now