Advanced search

The decluttering, cleaning, vacating, pandering, nailbiting antics of the stressed out house sellers continued...

(1000 Posts)
CuddyMum Thu 11-Apr-13 16:47:11

Thought I'd better start a new thread... smile

ghosteditor Thu 20-Jun-13 15:40:15

terry's that's a tricky one.

With the other second viewings coming up I would hesitate to cave too soon - if they don't still want in two weeks then they weren't the buyers for you anyway.

I would be tempted to say something like "We are unable to accept your offer and we were hoping to get much closer to £x. We have several more viewings coming up this week, but we'd be happy to hear from you if you can improve your offer even slightly, which will enable us to consider it seriously".

Good luck!

Allegedly we will hear from our prospective buyer on Friday (when they hear back from the council about extension possibilities). But we've been told we'd hear Wednesday, Monday, Wednesday, Friday etc for weeks now!

HarderToKidnap Thu 20-Jun-13 18:33:37

Got nine viewings booked for our house 's open day on Saturday! I'm going out on Friday overnight, was planning to come back about 2, think I'll have to hang around the back behind the bins until 430 when everyone has gone...

wonkylegs Thu 20-Jun-13 21:41:02

Just completed the hardest task of this move so far.... Polishing off the last of the sorbet in my attempt to empty the freezer grin

ghosteditor Thu 20-Jun-13 21:54:25

Oh wonky - hard times grin

TerrysNo2 Thu 20-Jun-13 22:06:27

wonky you poor soul grin

harder that sounds like a good open day, I hope you get some offers out of that!

can you believe that in a space of 5 weeks (before or buyer pulled out and after) we've had approx 60 viewings! We had 30 viewings then an offer which we accepted and then they pulled out and now about 30 viewings and had 2 low offers. shock confused

ghosteditor Fri 21-Jun-13 13:30:48

Well. The oddness with our prospective buyers continues! They've been waiting on a pre-planning application for about three weeks now with no hint of an offer except general keeness and good communication.

However, they came today on a third viewing and spent 50 mins here (small house!) measuring up for furniture, looking at the garage and the garden, and have said they will get back to us on Monday.


Turnipinatutu Fri 21-Jun-13 14:42:49

I'd say very hopeful.
If they're measuring for furniture, they're picturing living there and they wouldn't have put in a pre planning app, if they weren't keen.
Perhaps it all sits on the plans getting the green light? Hence no offer without the results.
How long should it take?

ghosteditor Fri 21-Jun-13 16:03:09

Thanks turnip, hoping they are keen as they are renting and can move quickly - perfect buyers for us! It probably does hinge on planning. They keep being told two more days by the council and it's been that way for over two weeks, so I guess they've just got drawn into waiting.

I'm worried though as I can't really see the application being approved hmm

rubyrubyruby Fri 21-Jun-13 18:05:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HarderToKidnap Sat 22-Jun-13 18:28:41

Hopefully they've fallen in love with the place anyway ghost, and so much is allowed under permitted development nowadays that they 'll be able to do some sort of extension, surely?

So open da over, 14 viewings and 2 offers with some more to come on Monday! V v pleased.

ghosteditor Sat 22-Jun-13 18:56:13

Hopefully htk!

That's amazing for a day's viewing! What made the EA suggest an open day - is it a unique property and likely to be competitive?

TerrysNo2 Sun 23-Jun-13 17:32:31

what a great open day htk I'm pleased things went well, a bit of advice from my experience, don't just go for the highest offer, go for the people who are in the best position (I.e no chain) and who love it the most. I've heard of so many buyers who pull out that I think, if you have the luxury of choosing, a buyer who will do everything they can to make it happen is worth more than someone who makes a higher offer.

Totally peeved here, tidied the house today and planned our whole day around a viewing at 11am and they didn't turn up or bother cancelling. So frustrating angry

We're going on holiday next Saturday (yay) but I really want to get a buyer before then so we can relax a little bit!

ghosteditor Sun 23-Jun-13 18:36:51

Terry's that sucks! We've had one cancellation and one no show - gives me angry

We're on holiday tomorrow but also expecting/hoping for offers this week. No idea how we're going to get out of the house and leave it clean enough for a viewing by 9am!!

doglover Sun 23-Jun-13 19:26:37

Our buyers should have had their survey on our house by now so we're desperately hoping that all's ok .................

doglover Sun 23-Jun-13 19:27:09

Sorry, I meant their survey RESULTS.

enjoyingscience Mon 24-Jun-13 15:46:58

Well, we're on the market. First viewing today at 5. I'm off sick today and had to haul myself out of my pit to tidy up. Bleugh. Glad it's underway though. If they don't show I'll cry. Or throw up. Or both.

Open day sounds great htk!

TerrysNo2 Mon 24-Jun-13 16:13:59

well, the couple from last week have increased their offer by £1k rather than the £5k we countered with. To put it into perspective, this is 5% lower than the agreed price with our ex-buyer.

I have no idea what to do, we can still technically afford to move although it will eat into our renovation funds but if we don't move soon we will lose the house we want and the £3k of costs we've already incurred. And DS starts school in September so we would have to move mid year and find somewhere new when we searched thousands of properties online and this is the only one we liked.

WWYD??? I'd really appreciate other views! thanks smile

TerrysNo2 Mon 24-Jun-13 16:14:39

sorry for self indulgent post, good luck with survey results dog and with viewings science grin

Turnipinatutu Mon 24-Jun-13 17:26:55

Do you feel this is their best and final offer Terrys?
Perhaps sit on it for a couple of days. 1k sounds like a meagre amount to increase!

TerrysNo2 Mon 24-Jun-13 17:33:05

turnip I think it is their best and final, it's taken a week to get to this much!

doglover Mon 24-Jun-13 17:55:22

We were given the advice (hard to take but probably correct!) that if you look back in a few years time, will you notice that £4k difference? In your situation, perhaps it might be better to accept it and move so that you keep the house you want to buy and don't lose your costs.

Horrible, though.

ghosteditor Mon 24-Jun-13 21:01:39

I think I would seriously consider it in your case turnip, if you can afford the move. You're buying into a new life here - if you're sure of the house/area you want then perhaps it's worth it. I guess it's half the cost of a bathroom/kitchen (unless doing it yourself - can you wait a bit longer?)

ghosteditor Mon 24-Jun-13 21:02:40

Also, the current prospective buyers - are they actually in a good position?

Could you accept but say you're keeping it on the market until the point of exchange?

TerrysNo2 Mon 24-Jun-13 21:08:40

ghost you mean me right, not turnip?? I agree that in the long run its not a huge amount of money, it's quite scary as the new house is in a totally new area to us so I am getting a bit nervous but DH reminded me just how right the house felt the two times we've seen it and how much we loved the area.

we've asked the vendor to reduce his price and the EA to take a hit so if we can share the losses out then we will probably go for it. the buyers are ftb and have their mortgage approved and the EA says they love the house.

TerrysNo2 Mon 24-Jun-13 21:23:15

New thread is here smile

This thread is not accepting new messages.