Talk

Advanced search

How much to expect for quote - tall and wide side garden gate??

(3 Posts)
SisterMonicaJoan Thu 11-Apr-13 13:24:39

We currently have a set of side gates at the side of our house. They are only waist high so offer no privacy (or security!).

We want to replace them with taller version and I'm expecting several call backs to arrange a visit to provide a quote.

Just so I don't look like an idiot when they call back, is it possible to get gates which are 6ft tall and each one just over 4ft wide? Or will they suggest a wooden panel and a small gate?

If it is possible, any ideas how much to expect the quote to be??

I'm in the NW btw.

Thank you!!

PigletJohn Thu 11-Apr-13 14:30:21

you can certainly get them. Prices vary. Most garden gates are rubbish but there are companies dealing with the higher end who will charge whatever you want to pay. A joiner or carpenter can make wooden gates to your size on site, probably cheaper and better than a gate company.

It will be cheaper to buy gates in a standard size. Look at garage doors.

Tall wide gates need very strong gateposts. If you can bolt one of them to the side of the house, it will not lean. If you put a brace or lintel between the tops of the two posts it will prevent them bending together under the one-sided weight of the gates. You may need the posts to be a bit higher for that. I used a piece of decking timber as the lintel for my 2.5m gates. Mine have a door-sized gate (which is in fact a door) and a wide gate (which is in fact a cut-down garage door)

Wooden posts rot in the ground. I strongly advise using one or two concrete spurs in the ground, and bolting to posts to them, at least six inches off the ground, and soak both ends of the posts in a bucket of Cuprinol preserver.

Outside joinery suffers from rain and damp. Try to protect your gates from rain penetration, perhaps with a little roof on the lintel, or a metal or plastic cover on the top of the gates.

SisterMonicaJoan Thu 11-Apr-13 14:40:57

Thank you pigletjohn lots to think about and some great tips. I didn't think about speaking to a joiner, thanks!

There are already posts in place - one concrete and one wooden (which is the one next to the house) but because of the height of the fences I want, I know these will need to be replaced but hopefully it would make replacing them easier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now