Talk

Advanced search

why offer then?

(23 Posts)
MrsBucketxx Thu 11-Apr-13 08:50:46

I have had an asking price offer. on my. house, but the buyer is not precedable, why on earth do this its like building all my hopes. up for nothing angry

just a bit of a rant ggggrrrr.

CuddyMum Thu 11-Apr-13 08:54:17

Just say, "thank you for your expression of interest" and carry on marketing as normal. On the plus side, your agent can tell viewers that you have an offer at the asking price but that they cannot proceed yet. Rant away - it's an incredibly stressful time selling a house smile

Anthracite Thu 11-Apr-13 08:55:04

Do you think people should only put in an offer when they have sold their own house? If so, there would never be any move in the market. It's amazing that it works as it is.

MrsBucketxx Thu 11-Apr-13 09:01:10

ok I have never made an offer without a sale going through on mine, how else can you calculate your budget etc.

unless your a ftb, which are like hens teeth atm.

CuddyMum Thu 11-Apr-13 09:04:28

Same here, in the area we live in, you secure an offer and then make an offer. Often in London, people make offers and then start to market their houses.

MrsBucketxx Thu 11-Apr-13 09:06:41

its not like thiers will sell quickly its 500k amd not great, mine is only 150.

ClaireDeTamble Thu 11-Apr-13 09:08:18

Maybe they are downsizing so the budget isn't a problem?

Just accept the offer but say that you are not taking the house off the market. Even if they had sold, there is no guarantee that it would go through and they may still sell before you get another offer.

We put an offer on our current house before we sold our old one and we sold before they had any other offers.

MrsBucketxx Thu 11-Apr-13 09:10:15

we have said if they could go ahead we would so I suppose thats the same thing isnt it?

lizzyhum Thu 11-Apr-13 09:10:57

I suppose it all depends on where they live and how quickly houses sell in that particular area. They might be quite confident that their house will sell reasonably quickly. It's frustrating but at least you know somebody likes your house enough to offer the full asking. Just keep yours on the market and hope they sell theirs soon.

Alwayscheerful Thu 11-Apr-13 09:15:53

To be honest, I shared your opinion before the downturn in the property market but we accepted an offer on our house and waited for the buyers to sell their property. The house we wanted was still for sale and it all worked out for us in the end.

Alwayscheerful Thu 11-Apr-13 09:19:41

It is also useful to agents and sellers for potential buyers to indicate the level at which they might pitch an offer, lots of potentially low offers might indicate the property is overpriced. There was a thread last week which mentioned 20 viewings in a week and no offers, they have no idea if they have priced their house correctly, oh know know someone considers it priced correctly.

Alwayscheerful Thu 11-Apr-13 09:21:05

You now know.

mamapants Thu 11-Apr-13 09:45:12

I put in an offer on a house before ours was even on the market. Offer accepted on basis we could do it quickly. They didn't take the house off the market which was very stressful as we were only selling mine because we'd found our dream house.
Took a couple of weeks to get our house on market to get pics and EPC etc. And got an offer within 2 weeks over xmas and new year. We were confident we'd get a quick sale because houses move quick in village where we live. Luckily all worked out (touch wood) even though we had some stressful moments.

MisForMumNotMaid Thu 11-Apr-13 09:48:14

Its a PITA if you got your hopes up and didn't realise they aren't proceedable. However, it is a good point of negotiation for the agents when other offers come along.

MrsBucketxx Thu 11-Apr-13 09:59:21

mama thats a pretty confident thing to do. glad it all worked out for you.

Turnipinatutu Thu 11-Apr-13 11:07:46

I'd see it as a good thing. Like others have said, you don't need to take it off the market and you're free to to go hunting yourself now.
Any new offers now will have to either be higher or ready to go.

MrsBucketxx Thu 11-Apr-13 14:34:44

I'm open to offers does that mean we wont get these now will I need to instruct ea that we still are ( thats if they are ready to go)

CuddyMum Thu 11-Apr-13 14:43:12

You will just carry on marketing as normal and will be able to accept other offers. When your potential buyer gets an offer on their property they will formally be able to confirm their offer on yours smile

MaryPoppinsBag Thu 11-Apr-13 18:24:36

We've just done the same. Offered on a house before ours was even up for sale. Did it last time too.

Jaynebxl Thu 11-Apr-13 19:51:50

We did it too. We were just browsing really before we got to putting our house on the market but found one we liked and made an offer. The owners accepted another offer because we weren't proceedable but when that sale fell through they came back to us and said they would accept ours so long as it sold quickly. Put ours on the market, sold quickly and bob's your uncle. I can't see anything wrong with it.

TeamEdward Fri 12-Apr-13 22:49:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jaynebxl Fri 12-Apr-13 23:04:14

That's just how we felt TeamE. I was afraid of selling fast and being pushed into buying something we didn't love if we went the other way round.

TeamEdward Fri 12-Apr-13 23:11:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now