Talk

Advanced search

Halogen lights in bathroom - are they unsafe?

(5 Posts)
fubbsy Tue 09-Apr-13 10:49:33

My friend said to me that halogen lights are not safe in a bathroom because of the high levels of moisture there. What is the mn consensus on this? Should I worry?

I have just moved into a new house and there are halogen lights in the bathroom. My friend thinks we should replace them. What do you think?

shrimponastick Tue 09-Apr-13 10:51:36

We have them in ours. Fitted when we had a new bathroom fitted about 5 years ago.

I haven't heard of them being unsafe.

They are blooomin hot though - which is quite nice whenhaving a long bath smile

soonbesailing Tue 09-Apr-13 11:01:15

They are fine as long as they are the sealed ones designed for use in bathrooms/kitchens.
They should have glass below the bulb rather than an open bulb.
If they are the wrong type you can replace with correct type quite cheaply but they do not have to be replaced with a different type of lighting.

fubbsy Tue 09-Apr-13 11:18:13

They are the sealed ones.

TBH the lights aren't that great, but I could live with them. If there is a safety concern, I would change them, but I have other things I would prefer to spend my money on.

Ponders Tue 09-Apr-13 11:36:45

our bathroom has lights with unsealed bulbs - they've been in 15 years! The fittings are brass effect & now look quite corroded but still work ok. It's a large & fairly draughty room though so doesn't get steamed up as much as some, I suppose

my main issue with them is the wattage - 3 bulbs, 50 watts each (& 6 in the kitchen) - I have low energy bulbs everywhere else in the house.

they are the GU5s with 2 small pins which just push in, not the GU10s which have to be twisted in; there is now an LED versions of GU5, but an electrician told me I can't just swap them, because of having transformers or something - does anybody know if this is true?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now