Talk

Advanced search

plumbers

(10 Posts)
treesntrees Mon 08-Apr-13 22:19:58

How do you get a plumber? I have rung five of them. One even came out with his little notebook to see the job but can I get him to come up with an estimate. This guy does my Landlords gas safe certificate so would prefer to use him really. What to do. My son is attempting the water work with the help of google but we still need a gas safe plumber to connect the gas hob.

orangepudding Mon 08-Apr-13 22:22:48

The shop you bought your hob in should be able to recommend someone to fit your hob. Even if it isn't a recent purchase ask in a shop which sells them.

PigletJohn Tue 09-Apr-13 02:10:15

by personal recommendation from friends and neighbours.

Also, for some reason the Parish Magazine is a good source. Try to use an old copy as it means at least he has been in busines that long.

If you mean a registered gas installer that is not the same thing as a plumber.

Look up Gas Safe, there will be a website somewhere with qualified people on it.

BerryBlast Tue 09-Apr-13 10:18:48

Look on the Gas Safe register for a registered gas installer - plumbers deal with watery things smile not anything to do with gas !

Personal recommendation is always the best thing, though. Have any neighbours had any building work done lately?

I think that usually any gas installers/plumbers that are any good and have a good reputation are usually quite busy and you will usually have to wait a couple of weeks for them (it's a good sign when they are busy = they are good !) and can usually pick the jobs they want to do.

treesntrees Tue 09-Apr-13 22:32:36

I have already followed the above suggestions except the Parish magazine. I know good ones are busy and can pick and choose but I wish they would tell me if they don't want the jobs instead of leaving me hanging on. I rang a local one on the register who had quoted for a previous job but he had emigrated. Oh well I'll keep looking.

PigletJohn Tue 09-Apr-13 22:52:20

heating engineers are always busy in cold weather. When it warms up, customers will lose urgency, and you will find one more easily.

BerryBlast Wed 10-Apr-13 08:49:10

Perhaps it's you they don't like - if they're self employed they can pick and choose their jobs and if they don't like the look of someone they don't bother with them smile. Not nice, I know, but true.

treesntrees Wed 10-Apr-13 22:36:23

Berryblast only one has actually met me so how can it be that? The others apart from the emigrated one are people for whom I have left messages on their voice mails and they don't get back to me. Maybe I should ring them at tea time like the PIP people do. On a serious note is it OK to ring people in the evening. I hesitate to do this as I think if they have been working hard all day they wouldn't want people ringing them in their down time.

treesntrees Thu 11-Apr-13 21:14:59

pigletjohn checked at church today but no parish magazine. Son is tackling water works with helpful input from plumbing supplies dealer and google. Just need to find gas fitter now.

FishfingersAreOK Thu 11-Apr-13 23:18:43

How about asking the local electrical appliance store - they may be able to recommend someone.

Similarly is there a local pub or coffee shop that has been renovated recently? Call them they may be able to help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now