Advanced search

What are those things called that go in windows - like large stickers?

(37 Posts)
Hassled Mon 08-Apr-13 22:11:37

They do the job of a net curtain but look better (I think - am I wrong? Are they actually really naff?). So like large blocks of white/opaque on the glass blocking out the room from people like me who can't walk past a window without looking in - what are they? Thanks.

fossil971 Mon 08-Apr-13 22:13:08

Window film!

Don't know if naff but they are certainly cheap and effective

Fairypants Mon 08-Apr-13 22:14:44

It depends if you get cool pattern ones or granny bathroom window ones smile

Hassled Mon 08-Apr-13 22:17:12

Brilliant - many thanks. I live on a busy road and currently have manky looking nets - was going to replace but would rather do without.

Hassled Mon 08-Apr-13 22:18:23

If I put it on and it looks dreadful, how easy is it to get off again?

fossil971 Mon 08-Apr-13 22:22:00

It just peels off. I bought some on a roll to do several panels and got one wrong - the hardest thing is keeping it flat, but if I'd had a helper it would have been fine. I guess it might be a bit more stuck after a few months.

Fairypants Mon 08-Apr-13 22:22:57

The stuff we have is just on with static cling so no sticky residue when you take it off. I can't remember the name of the brand but it is the most common one out there- makes it possible to shift it around to get it on right as well.

Hassled Mon 08-Apr-13 22:26:43

Thanks again smile

PigletJohn Tue 09-Apr-13 02:16:37


ArbitraryUsername Tue 09-Apr-13 02:30:07

Have you considered blinds?

Hassled Tue 09-Apr-13 18:44:34

What? What? Why is the mention of window film causing PigletJohn to vomit in the early hours? Is there something I need to know?

CoffeeShoppe Tue 09-Apr-13 18:48:34

I am with piglet on this. They are awful.

Hassled Tue 09-Apr-13 18:54:49

Awful how though? Tacky? Worse than nets? What am I missing here? Blinds just seem like a right faff and there has to be something between the pedestrians and me in my dressing gown.

lightrain Tue 09-Apr-13 18:57:13

What about voile curtain panels? Much nicer in my opinion - I agree that the window film is not so nice (sorry).

EffieTheDuck Tue 09-Apr-13 18:57:35

Never let on. PigletJohn ate some dodgy prawns last night.wink
If you like the window film and need privacy then go for it.

Hassled Tue 09-Apr-13 19:00:01

Just googled - they do look nice but then what happens re your actual curtains? It looks like one or the other.
Maybe I'll just replace the nets.

EffieTheDuck Tue 09-Apr-13 19:04:31

Dunelm Mill have weighted plain ones at £1something per meter.

Flossiechops Tue 09-Apr-13 19:37:37

Hassled try Brume they have contemporary designs that I have used. Similar to you I had it in my front bay and it just went 3/4 way up. I have also used it in a door panel in my inner door. It's very simple to remove, just water and washing up liquid iirc.

Flossiechops Tue 09-Apr-13 19:38:51

No no no!! It looks great, have a look at the gallery pictures on the link. So much more stylish than dated nets!

K8Middleton Tue 09-Apr-13 19:50:45

Urge. Nets are horrid. I put film on my windows because my house gets photographed a lot by randoms. I was papped twice putting the bloody stuff in angry

If looks much better but don't get the stuff with twee cut out squares or something. Make a weak solution of washing up liquid to help you get it on and use a sponge not a squeegee. Then have curtains or blinds as you prefer.

We took down our blinds and just have the filmed windows. It's so much lighter now because we have an extra foot or so of window. We do have pretty period windows though. uPVC or something might look a bit grim.

K8Middleton Tue 09-Apr-13 19:51:42

Urge? Urgh. Stupid autocorrect

Hassled Tue 09-Apr-13 20:23:03

OK - I'm ignoring the vomiting Piglet and going back to Plan A. If it's secretly naff - tough. Thanks smile.

Flossiechops Tue 09-Apr-13 20:24:42

It's not secretly naff at all unless you have bad taste

tak1ngchances Tue 09-Apr-13 20:28:04

I have them in my Victorian bay-fronted terraced house. I went for the plainest possible so it looks like there is a square of frosted glass in the window pane. It is totally unobtrusive but means people aren't gawping in at me.

This is my saviour until I can afford lovely plantation shutters (secretly hoping they go out of fashion so I don't have to spend £££ on them)

Toughasoldboots Tue 09-Apr-13 20:28:40

I like too, had it on the top glass of a Georgian house, looked really good.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: