Talk

Advanced search

House going on market next week. Eek.

(21 Posts)
WireCatWhore Mon 08-Apr-13 11:55:26

Right.
Next Monday have estate agent coming around to do photos & get the house on the market.

Have new carpet for 2nd bedroom coming on Friday. Relevant areas have been freshened up.

Tell me what else is important.

Will be de cluttering this week.

Tell me anything, however small just so I can check I've everything in order.

I know there's a house moving thread but it has about 900 posts on it!

Thank you.

WireCatWhore Mon 08-Apr-13 11:55:58

Apologies for the RIGHT at the start of my thread. Makes me sound aggressive! blush

MovingOut2013 Mon 08-Apr-13 12:46:59

We've just gone on the market.

We have decluttered, cleaned from ceiling to floor and made sure we are always ready for any last minute viewings.

Before viewings I have been leaving all windows open for a couple of hours to air the place out, then putting the heating on an hour before the viewing so it's nice and warm when they are here.

Check garden for mess, make sure no rubbish is left around and put last few bits (washing basket, baby walker etc) in shed.

Will watch with interest to see if I can get any tips.

WireCatWhore Mon 08-Apr-13 14:41:47

Thanks movingout2013

MrsJamin Mon 08-Apr-13 15:33:25

Good tip I had was to make sure all the kids stuff was in the kids' room - therefore not making the whole place appear like a family house if it was not a family looking around (2 bed terrace so not likely). It is true too what people say about too many photos - one place we viewed had so many pictures of the people I felt like I was intruding on their house, rather than picturing myself there. The best way you could leave it was like a guesthouse - so homely but not personal.

iseenodust Mon 08-Apr-13 15:42:34

Wash all windows.

WireCatWhore Mon 08-Apr-13 15:44:18

Am sorting out huge mountain of toys.
Have 2 kids birthdays in the next week. Doh.

hires window cleaner wink

PastaBeeandCheese Mon 08-Apr-13 15:44:19

So are we!

We have decluttered and packed up some stuff into the loft to make the house look bigger. We've had a few little jobs done over past weeks and will be spending weekend tidying garden and painting decking.

It's hard work isn't it?! The memories of selling before are all flooding back to me!

WireCatWhore Mon 08-Apr-13 15:45:55

PastaBeeandCheese, the last place I sold, I had moved out of& was renting elsewhere as was moving out of area.

This is the 1st place I've really sold.

Am dreading it.

Am thinking of Safe Storing the children! wink

PastaBeeandCheese Mon 08-Apr-13 15:48:24

Well we were living there but we sold inside a week with two buyers bidding it out until we got more than asking price.

Somehow I don't think history will repeat itself in 2013! Different economic environment and doing it with a child this time so can't do as much as I'd like to prep the house.

WireCatWhore Mon 08-Apr-13 15:50:05

Have repainted hall way ( well a decorator did!)

So toddler got hold of my hand cream and wiped it down the walls goi down the stairs.

cries

PastaBeeandCheese Mon 08-Apr-13 15:58:32

That's made me feel better about not painting my hall! It was done two years ago and I'd have liked to give it a quick going over but it's just impossible with DD and DH working abroad.

I have managed to paint some other rooms so I think it will look good in the pics.

magimedi Mon 08-Apr-13 16:32:09

If you can possibly not have the children in the house when viewers come round, it would be better. They can be a bit of a distraction.

And if you have cats/dogs try to make sure they are also not in the house. Some people really don't like them or are scared of them or are allergic.

I am neither anti child nor animal but you want viewers to look at the property & nothing else.

WireCatWhore Mon 08-Apr-13 16:46:17

Can't really get rid of kids or cat when I have viewers.

Bugger.

magimedi Mon 08-Apr-13 16:50:48

Can you make sure that cat is either out or shur in shed or something?

Can you bribe kids with amazing new DVD to sit quietly in front of it?

Some EA's will conduct the viewings so you could be in garden or out with DCs?

magimedi Mon 08-Apr-13 16:51:49

Shut not shur

PastaBeeandCheese Mon 08-Apr-13 16:52:14

I found my cat would go outside anyway when viewers came and I used to hide his food and (clean) litter box in the boot of the car 5 mins before someone was due.

It may sound ridiculous but it just made it less obvious we have a cat. He doesn't bother with a litter tray these days but I still plan on hiding his food and obviously i'll ensure I've inspected his flower bed for poo......!

WireCatWhore Mon 08-Apr-13 17:45:27

I will put away litter tray& his food bowl.

Will lock kids in shed. wink

specialsubject Mon 08-Apr-13 17:50:43

the place needs to look clean and loved; 'no-one buys your dirt' as they say.

for photos; clear kitchen worksurfaces ( otherwise 'this kitchen is too small'), no boxes visible under beds or on top of wardrobes ('we don't have enough storage'), tidy garden, no kids artwork up, beds made tidily, depersonalise as much as possible.

for viewings; the same except just cleaned and no smell. No litter tray or cat food out - cats not so bad as dogs but the cat is to be outside during viewings.

if it is priced right and has no big 'but' it will sell.

magimedi Mon 08-Apr-13 18:00:38

grin at kids in shed - don't forget to get 'em out before you move!

WireCatWhore Wed 10-Apr-13 20:29:48

Damn, was hoping to leave them behind! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now