I am going ever so slightly mad :)

(17 Posts)
Badvoc Mon 08-Apr-13 11:27:43

So.
Moved in to this house 15 months ago.
To date it has needed:
New boiler
New kitchen appliances
New conservatory roof and - today - new windows at the back of the house.
To say I am cheesed off is an understatement!
I know that this is what comes with home ownership but its really getting me down.
Next door sold up in December (retired couple moving back to their home town) with ease (much more dated than ours but otherwise exactly the same) and the other side (same) has just sold after only being up for sale for 3 weeks.
I think we could sell this house easily, ESP after everything we have done to it.
I wouldn't mind renting but dh wouldn't.
I wouldn't mind a smaller house but dh isn't keen.
It would just be so nice to have a bit more money each month and to be able to enjoy life a bit more.
It's been a rough few months and I realise that may be clouding my mind somewhat!!
I am mad, aren't I?
smile

Badvoc Mon 08-Apr-13 12:50:08

Ah.
Now there is a problem with the facias and the windows wont open properly.
£2.5k for new fascias.
Ffs.
Seriously, when do you cut your losses and sell?
sad

lalalonglegs Mon 08-Apr-13 13:46:51

Just comfort yourself with the fact that if you were in rented, you'd probably be living in a house that needed all that doing and more and there would be no guarantee your LL would fix anything (see countless property board threads). Instead of feeling cheesed off, you would feel impotent and exploited. (Unless your house is huge, that seems quite a toppy quote for fascias, shop around.)

Badvoc Mon 08-Apr-13 14:24:17

Think we will alter the windows rather than get the fascia done...much cheaper.
We rented before buying this house and yes, it is irritating she the LL is lax about repairs.
Gah.

littlecrystal Mon 08-Apr-13 22:29:47

No you are not mad.
It is hard especially if the house is old and the repairs are unexpected.
But it seems you already fixed many things, perhaps it is now alright and you can relax a bit in your OWN house rather than rented?

noisytoys Mon 08-Apr-13 23:49:37

It is a pain when you move into a house and everything needs doing (I've been there). One day you will turn round and everything will have been done. And you can relax in your lovely home. Not someone else's. yours smile

Jaynebxl Tue 09-Apr-13 06:29:29

Badvoc, if you cut your losses and sell you will have spent all this money for someone else to enjoy. Sit back and enjoy the benefits of the money you have spent now.

fuckwittery Tue 09-Apr-13 06:45:22

Costs of sale and purchase and moving you'll lose out massively! It's a long term investment.

echt Tue 09-Apr-13 06:49:02

At a time like this I would remind myself of what someone once said about buying a house: It's like standing in the shower in an Armani suit, ripping up 50 pound notes.grin

I have just exhaled after seeing the projected bill for bathroom and kitchen renos in our house.

Badvoc Tue 09-Apr-13 07:38:21

Yes you are all right of course.
I know I am mad.
We are going to alter one of the windows so it opens from the bottom.
Sigh.
We just can't afford to get the fascias done.
They will need doing at some point, but hey ho.
Such a shame.
It's a nice house in a nice sought after area.
But I am just not feeling the love ATM sad

Jaynebxl Tue 09-Apr-13 07:41:19

I bet the love will come once you get a break from all the spendy stuff and can relax a bit.

startlife Tue 09-Apr-13 11:41:51

We bought a similar house 3 years ago and I have wanted to move for the last 2 years.The costs and hassle of problems has made me miserable but if we sold we would not recoup moving costs which due to stamp duty were high...however I am starting to see a small light at the end of a dark tunnel.

I think its not unusual to feel completely broke after a house purchase especially if you stretched finances to buy.However generally you will be financially better off in the longterm if you stick with ownership.I would never rent again (we rented in between buying) and had poor experiences of LLs.

What are the positives for your house? Is there a room you love or maybe the garden? I've put effort into a few rooms and it has made me feel better about the house.The costs do go down after a while so I think stick with it.I would not move to a smaller house as lack of space is a major issue for me so I can see where your dh is coming from.

Badvoc Tue 09-Apr-13 15:00:52

The windows do look great smile
I do like the house.
We have decorated most rooms now so it's not so magnolia-tastic smile
On paper it's perfect.
3 double beds (was a 4 bed but converted)
Converted garage into 2nd reception
Conservatory
Downstairs WC and utility area
Decent sized bathroom
Off road parking for 2 cars
Good sized plot to the back.
It's just....I'm tired of all the hassle and worry over what will go wrong next.
Nothing anyone can do about that.
Boiler has been serviced and is ok thank god!
The basic issue with this house is that the previous owner did most of the work himself and he was crap and bodged everything.
He has moved to a lovely new build where everything is new and if anything is wrong the builders have to put it right.
And - I will admit this - I resent the fact that we have to put right his cock ups.
Not that I want a new build...I don't. But right now I can really see the plus points!! smile
Thanks for the replies x

suebfg Tue 09-Apr-13 20:08:37

Have been in a similar but probably worse position and it isn't much fun. Now in rented and it has been a weight off our minds - not picked up a paintbrush in a while. But you do pay through the nose for rent and there is always the chance the house will be taken back and you will have to move. We are looking forward to having our own property again soon, although not from a DIY perpsective smile

Badvoc Tue 09-Apr-13 20:11:42

Am just hoping we are done for a while tbh.
Hope,you find something sue x

PigletJohn Tue 09-Apr-13 20:23:30

if you move, you will just be in another house that needs stuff done to it.

Badvoc Tue 09-Apr-13 20:35:28

PG. I know.
It's just been a rough few months.
And it's so upsetting when you do things "right" you know? We gutted our last house and everything was done properly by very good tradespeople and I feel upset that the previous owners of this house - who knew we had 2 young dc - knowlingly sold us a house with a leaky roof and a dodgy boilersad
I hope karma bites them on the arse.
One plus...the house will be much warmer this winter! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now