Talk

Advanced search

how long where you on the market for

(21 Posts)
MrsBucketxx Mon 08-Apr-13 07:54:56

its been five weeks now for me and it seems like an eternity, plenty of viewings but no offers sad

how long was it before you sold? I was expecting. something by now or am I just being really impatient.

flow4 Mon 08-Apr-13 08:09:40

Interesting question! Before I give you my answer, which might be a bit depressing, I will say that it seems to be very different in different areas... So really you need to know how houses are selling in your area.

I've decided to do buy-to-let instead of selling because the market is so bad around here at the moment. My neighbours have had their house on the market since Christmas 2011, and have so far come down 5%, to below what they bought it for. Other near neighbours have just sold after 9 months on the market for £5k less than they paid. A colleague divorced from his partner, and they have just sold after two years on the market for just 75% of their original asking price. sad

I really hope everyone here has better luck!

MrsBucketxx Mon 08-Apr-13 08:19:57

ill be letting it back out long before that I can't afford to pay 700 pound a month extra on top of what we are spending for our own home.

fingers crossed

Jaynebxl Mon 08-Apr-13 08:40:00

It definitely varies from place to place. Round here everything sells really quickly. We put our house on the market on the Wednesday and had two offers on the Saturday. We sold it for above the asking price on the Monday. That seems to be fairly normal around here. Hardly anything is on for more than a month. However from reading the property section on MN it seems we are pretty unusual compared to the rest of the country.

MrsBucketxx Mon 08-Apr-13 08:42:06

where abouts are you jayne?

orangepudding Mon 08-Apr-13 08:51:05

We are putting an offer on a house today that has been on the market since Wednesday last week.
If it's accepted ours is going to go on the market today or tommorow. We will have an open house at the weekend and fingers crossed get some offers then. I live in a commuter town with very few houses for sale near the station. There are only 3 other houses for sale around the same price and mine is much closer to the station and to the local outstanding primary school. 3 bed houses here are either around £250k or jump straight to £400k. Mine is one around £250k.
We are unusal becasue most of the country isn't in the same situation.

MrsBucketxx Mon 08-Apr-13 09:01:40

orange if I was the vendors I wouldn't accept an offer unless your precedeble, seems odd to do it your way,

or maybe its different by you?

orangepudding Mon 08-Apr-13 09:48:22

MrsBucketxx, I agree with you so we have made a high offer to reflect this. I don't think we will get it as it's a porbabte sale so they are looking for someone who can proceed very quickly.

fussychica Mon 08-Apr-13 15:05:25

In some areas the housing stock is very low - Estate agents here are getting a bit desperate to get some new stock.

We have what we think will be a very saleable property (agents agree)but what we want to move to is pretty much non existent so if something comes on that's right I want to be able to go for it but don't want to have sold and not be able to find something. Never been in this situation before.

iseenodust Mon 08-Apr-13 15:39:08

DB lives near Birmingham and 3 bed houses @250k are being snapped up within the week. We completed sale on MIL dormer bungalow in E Yorks in 5 months for 95% of original asking price last autumn.

EuroShaggleton Mon 08-Apr-13 15:42:07

Mr Euro is about to put his btl flat on the market and estate agents were falling over themselves to get it on their books. Looking on the property websites, pretty much everything in that price bracket in the area is labelled as "sold stc" so hopefully that is a sign that things are shifting. The last tenant was a nightmare and we lost a lot of money, so it would be good to get rid of the place asap!

sparkle9 Mon 08-Apr-13 15:48:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sparkle9 Mon 08-Apr-13 15:50:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Loopyhasanotherbean Mon 08-Apr-13 15:52:01

Nearly 4 years now, no one seems to like that we have a 30 mph road running behind our back garden sad

doglover Mon 08-Apr-13 15:53:48

The house we want to buy is also cheaper than the one we are selling. We're planning to hugely reduce our mortgage and stay there forever. We just need to get a buyer for all this to happen!!

MrsBucketxx Mon 08-Apr-13 16:37:23

seems like everyone want to sell but theres no buyers,

like a big game of chicken.

doglover Mon 08-Apr-13 16:40:12

Come out, come out, where ever you are, buyers!! smile

littlecrystal Mon 08-Apr-13 16:50:03

Less than one day. It waa last week in London. We got a good offer from our 2nd viewer.

HepzibahFlurge Mon 08-Apr-13 18:08:14

48 hours - we signed papers with the estate agent and had photos done on the wednesday, two viewings the next day and two offers the day after (friday). One was a cash buyer. We put the house on the market for £10k more (as per estate agent) than we wanted for the house and both buyers offered what we wanted. Went with the cash buyer
We are in North Hampshire - house was in a small but sought after village. Estate agent has a waiting list of people wanting to move into the village.In our price range there were only two houses on the market so they go really quickly. Its the ones over 400k that are not selling.
Doglover - we downsized dramatically (4 bed house to 2 bed flat), its the best thing we have ever done.(moved for health reasons.) Knocked 50k off the mortgage smile

nocake Mon 08-Apr-13 18:12:27

The average round here is 10 weeks and it took us almost exactly that. It does seem like it's going to take forever when you've tidied the house for the 10th time and so few viewers are proceedable but don't worry yet.

doglover Mon 08-Apr-13 18:18:32

Thanks for the reassurance! I felt like bursting into tears when reading LittleCrystal's timespan!! Yes, we plan to knock about 60k off mortgage so we're not permanently skint so good to hear that others have also gone down this route. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now