Talk

Advanced search

If I wanted a wooden door instead of a plastic one

(8 Posts)
JazzAnnNonMouse Sun 07-Apr-13 16:23:36

Would I be able to buy one (preferably cheaply and do it up) and hang it within the frame that's already there?

It's currently a puvc or whatever door with a skinny tall window next to it all in one iyswim - I want to just replace the door with something nice for now and rethink when we've saved enough to redo the double glazing.

Can I buy a wooden door and hang it on the plastic?

If I wanted a wooden door and that isn't an option, what would I need to do?

JazzAnnNonMouse Sun 07-Apr-13 20:19:15

Bump

befrazzled Sun 07-Apr-13 20:38:20

No you can't hang a wooden door in a plastic frame, you would need to completely change the frame to a wooden one.

flow4 Sun 07-Apr-13 21:04:41

Nope. I had a whole door frame and door replaced about 4 years ago - a joiner did it for me - it was reasonably easy, and cost about £400 as I remember.

LorettaMasonPotts Sun 07-Apr-13 21:13:45

Composite doors are nice, come in a range of colours and look like wood but are pretty much maintenance free.

They are fitted in a upvc frame.

Lots here

LorettaMasonPotts Sun 07-Apr-13 21:14:59

Sorry, just re-read your OP.

Composite doors are not cheap.

JazzAnnNonMouse Sun 07-Apr-13 21:19:57

Bugger - looks like I will I have to wait!

PigletJohn Sun 07-Apr-13 23:40:15

A wooden doorframe is not at all expensive. I prefer a stained hardwood door and frame.

A skilled joiner will fit it better and faster than any handyman.

Include your new locks, hinges, letterbox etc.

I prefer to hang it on lift-off hinges as they make painting and maintenance much easier.

The top and bottom of the door are most in need of painting and are most often neglected.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now