Talk

Advanced search

painting over brown varnish but it keeps showing through! help!

(8 Posts)
linspins Sun 07-Apr-13 15:00:34

I'm painting some picture frames, in an attempt to turn them from ugly orange varnish to a tasteful muted colour, but the varnish keeps leaching through. I painted emulsion on first, but it still looked a bit orange, then I tried primer ...still faint orange hue. Any suggestions about what to seal it with? If I use gloss, will I be able to paint normal emulsion on that?

Mynewmoniker Sun 07-Apr-13 15:04:40

Did you sand it down first to create a key?

Chalk paint is able to cover anything (apparently) but is expensive.

I would go back to basics and sand it.

linspins Sun 07-Apr-13 15:09:39

We did sand them a bit, and it's not that the paint isn't sticking nicely, more that the varnish is staining the paint. Off to google chalk paint...

PigletJohn Sun 07-Apr-13 16:12:15

did you use a water-based primer?

try Aluminium wood primer (spirit based). It is very good for sealing sap, knots and other problem surfaces.

You are though supposed to strip off varnish before painting.

linspins Sun 07-Apr-13 17:27:31

I'm wondering now if it was more of a stain/varnish than a shiny varnish - difficult to truly sand off (although I didn't try much, just enough to provide a key!).

Have done an experiment with a bit of eggshell on one. Might have to use eggshell coloured paint over it though.

Elliptic5 Sun 07-Apr-13 17:27:40

I use Johnstone's Ultra Primer Sealer here for lots of my projects, the advantage of this is that it is white and gives a good base for most paler colours.

Mynewmoniker Sun 07-Apr-13 18:08:23

PM'd you OP

linspins Sun 07-Apr-13 19:20:44

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now