Talk

Advanced search

Outside drain blocked.

(4 Posts)
MrsAceRimmer Sat 06-Apr-13 16:09:40

Hello
I was wondering if any of you know how to unblock an outside drain?
It's in our back garden, the kitchen sink and washing machine are the only things which drain into it.
I've got a vague idea about drain rods, but don't even know where to start.
Should I chuck a couple of kettles full of boiling water down just know? Or is there something else I could do? Also read about maybe caustic soda (not ideal as I've 2 small children).
Not sure what the blockage is as we're pretty careful as to what we put down the sink.
Thanks smile

FishfingersAreOK Sat 06-Apr-13 16:45:59

It could be blocked further down the drains...ie where the loo goes in. "Flushable" wipes are not. As we found out when DS and his friend put about 10 in one flush.
You need to (boak) lift all your manhole cover to determine where the blockages is. We have a silly long drive so there are about 4 from the back to the front. Then yep, drain rods...long bendy poles you bung down, wiggle, do plungy motions, run the tap, check flow, repeat as necessary.

I am no expert and someone else may come along with more experience (I have done once, DH done once) or knowledge but that is certainly where I would start.

If it looks like it is the main drain/sewer blocked (ie on the public road not your property) you can phone the water company to come and sort.

Be prepared to want a jolly good shower afterwards btw...even though they are deep and you have drain rods, just the possibility of there having been splashback...(shudders).

LittleEsme Sat 06-Apr-13 16:54:58

Soda crystals down the drain first, washed down with boiling water. 90p a pack and v effective should it be a build up of grease.

If not, don your rubber gloves, old clothes -that you can bin afterwards- and find yourself a long pole. Plumber is likely to charge at least £70 for dealing with that. confused

PigletJohn Sat 06-Apr-13 17:20:59

you mean a yard gully I think.

Is it plastic or eathenware?

Before you start with chemicals or rods, lift the grill off and scoop out the trap with a ladle, garden trowel, or large spoon. That will tell you if the blockage is at the gully. You can wear rubber gloves if you want. If the blockage is not at the gully, lift your manhole covers and describe what your see.

Does anybody pour cooking fat down your kitchen sink?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now