Talk

Advanced search

What colour exterior?

(6 Posts)
KayHunt Fri 05-Apr-13 19:36:22

I have a fairly typical 1930's bay fronted home and we need to repaint the exterior as it's tired and we had wall insulation which knocked patches of paint off.

the house is currently yellow, which is nice but a bit meh, I want a nice colour to compliment the style of house but not gaudy like the fluorescent pink a few streets away

What colours would suit and which paints will withstand very salty air?

KayHunt Fri 05-Apr-13 21:02:39

bump. I know it's boring for a Friday night...

williaminajetfighter Fri 05-Apr-13 21:13:58

Mizzle. Farrow and Ball. A lovely greens light grey.

lalalonglegs Sat 06-Apr-13 15:42:10

If it's a typical 1930s house it should probably be white with woodwork picked out in another colour. Possibly cream - or muddy brown if pebbledashed.

formicaqueen Sun 07-Apr-13 21:52:32

Salty air? By the sea?

I'd go for an antique off white (not yellowy cream) on the walls and a lovely strong seaside blue on the woodwork.

KayHunt Sun 07-Apr-13 22:34:10

Thank you for the responses, we unfortunately don't have any external woodwork as the previous owners loved a good bit of white UPVC. Our front door does have a beautiful blue in the glass.

Would an off white look a little bit too much as the frames/porch/roof facia are all white, or would a Mizzle colour be better?

I appreciate your help, I don't want to get this wrong as I'll have to live with it for many years to come and I want to try and be as sympathetic as possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now