Talk

Advanced search

Stupid question but should i cut blind cords?

(16 Posts)
Goodwordguide Fri 05-Apr-13 15:43:09

Ok, feeling a bit dim here but the house we've moved into has several fabric blinds with beaded cords that you pull to open or close the blinds.

Are these the types or cords that are dangerous for children? DCs are 4, 6 & 8 and the blinds are not in their rooms but I remember reading about some horrendous accidents with children becoming entangled in blind cords. At the same time i don't want to cut up the cords unnecessarily, DH thinks I am being paranoid.

ItsAllTLAsToMe Fri 05-Apr-13 17:14:06

I think that you can buy clips to hold them safely against the wall.

Quak Fri 05-Apr-13 17:18:18

I've just bought a new blind and it comes with something called a tension device. I haven't put it up yet but it looks like a little pocket that holds the blind cord. I will still be adding something to keep it up and out of reach though.

ByTheWay1 Fri 05-Apr-13 17:31:00

You can also buy a little joining device - 2 caps that loosely clip together - you cut the cord and knot it through each cap - so if something/one gets caught up it snaps open

specialsubject Fri 05-Apr-13 18:04:37

yes, these are the dangerous ones. No need for special purchases if you own clothes pegs - just clip them out of the way.

your youngest is just about in the danger zone, the others would be too heavy and the cords would break, also they are probably past the 'climb on the windowsill, wrap cord round neck and jump' stage which is what has caused these tragedies.

PigletJohn Fri 05-Apr-13 20:16:55

beaded cords are very weak. I'd even hazard a guess that they might be used because they will break easily. If you cut them you will probably not be able to wind the blind up and down

I would have thought accidents would be with venetian blinds that have nylon cords, it is very strong.

PigletJohn Fri 05-Apr-13 20:25:39

I must be wrong. Just had a look at ours. I had the idea they were made of pop-together plastic beads, but they are moulded into a polyester string.

They all have a little plastic joiner that traps the bead at each end to hold it into a ring.

holidaysdistantmemory Fri 05-Apr-13 20:28:29

Beaded cords are still dangerous. We had this when we moved into our new house, and blinds everywhere. We had our local blinds shop come around and put a break 'bit' into each cord, which snaps the cord if under pressure, like a child wrapping it around their neck. Even so, wouldn't have them in kids bedrooms just to be on safe side, there have been a significant number of deaths in recent years.

specialsubject Fri 05-Apr-13 21:00:26

the accidents have mostly been with the cords on vertical blinds, usually with a toddler left in a room for a nap. The child climbs on to the window sill and gets caught in the cord loop.

as noted, easily solved with a clothes peg, just fold them up and clip to the top of the blind. This is one where 'awareness' really does matter - check where toddlers have their naps and sleepovers!

new style blinds come with different mechanisms - poles or single string controls, and the bases are weighted rather than all tied together.

MelanieWiggles Fri 05-Apr-13 21:08:58

You need these: Blind Clips. They hold the cord against the wall so a child can't get their head into it and so the cord can't twist. I have them on all my blinds (in Ireland blind suppliers must provide these with all blinds that are sold).

Zipitydooda Fri 05-Apr-13 21:27:48

I have these www.johnlewis.com/pretty-frills-cord-safety-devices-pair/p231388018 for blinds in my toddler's room.

IncogKNEEto Fri 05-Apr-13 21:28:23

We have rollerblind blackout blinds in the DCs room, and we just removed the beaded cords altogether, and unroll and roll the blinds by hand, bit of a faff but much safer IMO.

Suzieismyname Fri 05-Apr-13 21:34:58

You are not being paranoid. A friend's nephew died from this a few years ago. It's tragic. We have cut our venetian cords as short as possible.

Suzieismyname Fri 05-Apr-13 21:46:50

I'm not very good at links...
There is a leaflet you can download from
http://www.bbsa.org.uk/domestic/child-safety/26/

Goodwordguide Fri 05-Apr-13 22:38:45

Thanks very much, will definitely use clothes pegs in the short term and get some of those clips. We often have other families over so want to make sure they're safe for younger chidren.

Potterer Sat 06-Apr-13 14:33:34

My two boys are 10 and 7 but when we have other people's children round I peg up the cords to any room they may go in.

The argument is that the clips that secure the cord to the walls can be pulled out although we do have them ourselves in the children's bedrooms for their blackout blinds.

We have perfect fit blinds in our lounge which have no cords at all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now