Advanced search

Approaching a vendor.

(15 Posts)
dietstartsmonday Tue 02-Apr-13 11:23:07

I was hoping to move and viewed a house early this year.
My DP has sold his house, however my situation has changed. I am getting some inheritance but it has been held up so instead of about now, more likely to be oct/nov time.

We found a house we love. Its been for sale for 3 months, no offers.

I am tempted to approach vendor and tell them i want it would they wait. They could save estate agents fees too if they took it off the market.

Bad idea? Waste of time?

LIZS Tue 02-Apr-13 11:26:44

Doubt they'd go for it anyway - best time to sell is coming up, why would they take if of on a faint promise ?

MrsJamin Tue 02-Apr-13 11:33:56

Unless you are going to offer a lot more money I wouldn't go for that if I was a vendor. I would say - if we're still on the market when you are able to buy, I would be happy to sell to you.

dietstartsmonday Tue 02-Apr-13 11:43:34

No i don't think they would either really but just wondering if its even worth asking.

Everything else has sold quickly, and i can see why theirs isn't, parking is a issue as is the busy walk way it is next to. But these aren't an issue for us.

Agree it is probably a waste of time just gutted my money is delayed as its perfect for us hmm

LIZS Tue 02-Apr-13 11:45:19

3 month isn't that long over winter and if you have seen an ad or board the EA could claim their fee anyway.

littlecrystal Tue 02-Apr-13 11:50:55

I approached one vendor privately after their house ad dissapeared from Rightmove - I assumed they have taken out of the market after hanging in there for 8 months and not finding a buyer. The vendor called me but she said it was Rightmove's technical issue and the house is still on the market. She offered to show me the house by herself but any offers should go through their agency. I felt that she was too uncomfortable to deal with me privately.

I would be the same, to be honest, unless I was desperate. Perhaps depends on the vendor's situation. You can always try, but suggesting to skip the agent will not sound good.

lalalonglegs Tue 02-Apr-13 11:52:41

You could offer immediate exchange with delayed completion, that way they know how much money they are going to sell for and have the security of knowing the sale definitely won't fall through while they find a house they like. It's worth a try - if you absolutely know that you will be receiving money in the autumn.

dietstartsmonday Tue 02-Apr-13 11:58:14

Lala, i didn't know you could do that. I am 100% sure of my money, just a delay due to it mostly being in foreign accounts.

I will have a look at exchange now then. Thank you

Potterer Tue 02-Apr-13 13:13:48

We've had a long completion date in the past due to the vendors buying a house that hadn't actually been built at the time. As first time buyers we could wait, and we did.

So we exchanged but the completion date was about 3 - 4 months after that.

Plus re estate agents fees they would wonder how you knew the house was for sale, and the estate agent would argue that it was advertised so that is how you knew and would still get their cut.

I would just view it and chat to the vendor or estate agents about moving timescales to get a feel. If they want to move fast then they may not wait, or they may want time to find somewhere for themselves.

kid Tue 02-Apr-13 16:21:35

I agree that you should go ahead and view the house and then speak to the estate agents about when you'd plan to move.
When I first started looking at houses, the EA asked when we hope to be in the new house. I said by August (this was in feb), we actually get the keys tomorrow so it moved very quickly for us.

I think if it was meant to be, the house will still be there for you in a few months. But for now, go ahead and get the ball rolling.

dietstartsmonday Tue 02-Apr-13 20:45:32

We have viewed it as my money was due march, before the delay. Makes it worse as i know its perfect for us!

dietstartsmonday Tue 02-Apr-13 20:46:49

Tried to get estate agent to talk to vendor about our new timescales and they refused.

lalalonglegs Tue 02-Apr-13 22:11:27

They don't want to wait for their money - most EAs are due their money after exchange but are rarely paid before completion. Drop a nite through the door explaining situation, it might work. If nit, can you borrow money due in autumn until then?

dietstartsmonday Wed 03-Apr-13 07:53:51

Am looking into borrowing it if i can.
I think i will put note through the door i can't lose anything. They might just say no, but it doesn't hurt to try

LIZS Wed 03-Apr-13 08:25:59

If you already viewed via the agent the vendor can't avoid the fees even f you approach them directly now , so unless you are proceedable (ie. have the funds available now) there is no advantage to them .

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: