Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can an electric stove be converted to gas?

(7 Posts)
CocoNutter Mon 01-Apr-13 17:35:36

The vendors are leaving their very lovely stove/range thing. It has electric ovens, which I prefer, but also solid electric hot plates on the hob. Would it be possible to convert the hob to gas, or is that a silly idea?! And if so, how much do you reckon it might cost?

trixymalixy Mon 01-Apr-13 17:36:47

It would probably cost more than just buying a new gas cooker even if it can be done!

CocoNutter Mon 01-Apr-13 18:04:30

That's what I wondered, but a new one would probably cost about £1k - surely it couldn't be that much?

PigletJohn Mon 01-Apr-13 18:12:13

you could always just get a new gas hob fitted in the worktop nearby. Not expensive. You could have the electric rings disconnected unless you want to keep them as spare. Is it an Aga or something expensive?

CocoNutter Mon 01-Apr-13 18:18:34

I think it's a Diplomat - I don't really know anything about them though. Kitchen isn't big enough to get separate hob as well. We want to extend it fairly soon after moving in so are thinking about what we can reuse to save money - if there's anyway we can reuse this I will as I want a range, and it has two ovens, a hot plate and a griddle.

CocoNutter Mon 01-Apr-13 18:19:58

And grin at 'is it an Aga or something expensive' - if I were inheriting an Aga for free I'd be doing cartwheels..!

PigletJohn Mon 01-Apr-13 18:28:08

so maybe keep it until you extend, then, think about adding a gas hob to one side. If it was me I would think about getting a metal (heat-proof) fold-down lid for it, probably in stainless, and treating it as a warm worktop, but certainly have the hob wiring disconnected first (easy).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now