Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Think I lost our potential buyers to neighbours through my own stupidity

(21 Posts)
PaythePiper Sun 31-Mar-13 21:52:00

I've had a dreadful afternoon and been kicking myself so much that I'm coming here for some perspective.

In brief- both the neighbouring flat across the landing and my flat went on the market this week, theirs a few days before ours. It's just a coincidence with the timing that we both want to sell right now. They want to move as quickly as possible so they can offer on a place they really want and we have-hopefully- a bit more time. I should add the neighbours are just lovely and we get on extremely well.

I'd say both flats are nice but not at all identical. Theirs is 2 bedroom, quite a different kitchen & bathroom and they have a room off the kitchen which they use as a study in what used to be the traditional tenement bathroom space, so it's kind of quirky. Their property has been valued as £10k less than ours and they are on at offers over at £15k less than our asking- so a bit cheaper. Our third bedroom is a single and has been used as a study in the past.

So I had a viewer phone to make an appointment first thing in the morning the day after ours went up and he mentioned they had driven round the neighbourhood and "seen next door". Our sign was not up at that point. "Oh," I said, "have you viewed it then?" "Oh no, no, no, not at all," the guy said. At which point I opened my mouth and the Stupid fell out. I said, "oh maybe you should, then, I know they are around this weekend". Whereupon he said yes, great idea and rang immediately to make the appointment.

I honestly don't know what came over me. I guess I figured they might view it anyway and it would be better to cut to the chase before we were strung along and then disappointed if they viewed next door later on & changed their minds. (Readgrinver thinking things way too much).

The viewers came here & seemed to really like it, apparently-they went on and on about about how lovely it was, asked me what I was looking for price wise blah blah blah. I half expected them to offer just as soon as the offices reopened after the weekend. They are in rented and want to move pretty quickly.

Then they went next door. And today they went back for a second viewing, with their parents in tow, next door. They didn't come back here. sad

I'd be delighted for my neighbours if they get an offer-and if the buyers do like their flat better for whatever reason, well so be it. But I feel a bit gutted all the same, since I suspect if I had kept my big mouth shut, they might just have been offering for here. It didn't help that the whole afternoon we only had one other viewer whose house isn't even on the market yet... Sigh.

AgentProvocateur Sun 31-Mar-13 21:58:41

I'm guessing you're in Edinburgh with O/O and Sunday afternoon viewings. If so, I'm sure it will sell soon. I have two friends whose DC's have got unconditionals from Edi Uni, and who are considering buying. There will be many more in the same position

lookingforhome Sun 31-Mar-13 22:04:19

Oh dear, poor you. Firstly, don't beat yourself up. Secondly, are you the one arranging viewings, hmm? 15k makes a lot of difference in the budget...

PaythePiper Sun 31-Mar-13 22:12:56

It's open viewings at weekends (well spotted, Agent) but people can ring me separately to view at other times. It tends to be quicker to do it this way since otherwise they have to ring the agent who has to ring me and then ring them back etc etc.

I can totally see why they would go for next door- the asking price, on paper, is a lot less. That said, I am pretty sure the neighbours are not going to be keen to let it go for too much less than valuation-and I might have been willing to do a deal for less-so it's not altogether accurate to say there is £15k of a difference. It could get interesting if they offer for next door, don't get it and then come back here. Mustn't take these things personally, right?

specialsubject Sun 31-Mar-13 22:13:16

actually you may have saved everyone effort. They would have found out about the other place soon, viewed it and if they liked it better, pulled out of your transaction.

plenty more fish in the sea.

Cosmosim Sun 31-Mar-13 22:15:49

The seller simply liked the other, cheaper flat. He was aware of it, so not sure why you think you asking him if he'd viewed it lost you a sale.

PaythePiper Sun 31-Mar-13 22:21:15

I didn't just ask him if they has viewed the other flat, I positively encouraged them to go ahead and do so when they said they hadn't. It seems they had no intention of viewing it before I suggested it. Yes, they might have done so later. But the other flat had been in the market for a few days before ours, with their sign up and they hadn't phoned them to see it...

mymemaw Sun 31-Mar-13 22:28:17

ah annoying but 'what ifs' never get the job done

you could drive yourself bonkers thinking about things and selling is hards enough and bonkers enough already

have a brew smile

monkeytennismum Sun 31-Mar-13 22:34:22

What myme said. The mantra for house buying/selling seems to be "it was / wasn't meant to be".

You never know, maybe they had been due to see it but wanted to pretend to you that they weren't. I know it's hard but try not to beat yourself up about it. Plenty more buyers out there smile

AliceWChild Mon 01-Apr-13 08:04:37

I'd guess they were pretending they weren't looking at the other flat, then because you mentioned it felt fine to admit it. Would be very odd otherwise to firstly not look at one so close, and secondly be convinced to do so by a conversation with someone they don't know.

Coconutty Mon 01-Apr-13 08:10:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Levantine Mon 01-Apr-13 08:11:04

I'm sure they would already have known about the other flat and as Alice says just felt they couldn't mention it to you before you brought it up

MrsJaqenHgar Mon 01-Apr-13 09:28:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsJaqenHgar Mon 01-Apr-13 09:29:48

Bugger....wrong thread! Sorry blush

thelittlestkiwi Mon 01-Apr-13 09:36:21

If they do buy it, at least it will be off the market leaving you a clear run. They would have viewed it anyway - if they have any sense.

I would ask for a second opinion if I wasn't 100% sure. If I was, I didn't bother.

Good luck.

AKissIsNotAContract Mon 01-Apr-13 09:52:03

You'll be in a better position once theirs goes under offer and none of your potential buyers get to view it. The sooner theirs goes, the better it will be for you.

PaythePiper Mon 01-Apr-13 17:14:38

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I am pretty sure they had no hidden plans to view the other property ahead of time because they phoned my neighbour straight after they spoke to me to make the appointment (she texted me about 2 minutes later to tell me about it, because they woke her up.). But it's all good- as some folks say, obviously they might have viewed it anyway and it is actually helpful if the other flat goes under offer quickly. I think yesterday was just such a low point after a huge effort to get on the flat on the market for the weekend and watching folk go next door was a let down- and it's easy to drive yourself crazy.

The good news is I had more viewers today who were very positive- and more tomorrow so my optimism is renewed. For now, anyway!

underthemountain Mon 01-Apr-13 19:08:28

I think I have worked out which one your flat is. If so-it is gorgeous and will def sell quickly (lovely kitchen)!

greenfolder Mon 01-Apr-13 20:42:27

They would have gone and looked anyway and hopefully it will now be off the market so less competition

PaythePiper Mon 01-Apr-13 20:44:59

underthemountain- I am impressed with your super sleuthing. Here I was thinking nobody would work out where it was...grin. Thanks for your kind comments, very encouraging.

olivertheoctopus Mon 01-Apr-13 20:45:38

You're over thinking it. Chances are any serious buyer would have looked at your neighbour's flat anyway even if you hadn't mentioned it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now