Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Free rent

(12 Posts)
3kidslou Sat 30-Mar-13 08:48:09

we privatley rent our 3 bed semi where we have lived for 6 yrs with our three children. Anyway really good friends of ours have been offered a 6 bedroomed farm house rent free in return for looking after the farm. They have asked if we would consider moving in with them rent free so that we could share running costs of house and help with childcare (they have 1 daughter). we would have our own living room and shut part of the upstairs off so that we have own area with 4 bedrooms and own bathroom. we would save 600 a month plus i could keep my horse there for free saving me a fortune. Any thoughts, im torn between it being an amazing opportunity to save money plus farm life for kids to omg what the hell am i thinking?. what do u think? xx

whosiwhatsit Sat 30-Mar-13 09:07:02

I think it's worth considering, at least. How is your credit and are you and/or your OH working? I ask because you'd want to be sure you could get out quickly if it all went wrong, and you'd probably need to be able to pass a tenant credit check to get back into a private rental.

If you decide to go for it, make sure you get the terms straight right from the beginning. How much would you have to pay towards upkeep? How many hours would you be looking after their daughter for? Would they be able to come into your living space uninvited or would it be like your private home? You want to avoid feeling like and being treated like live-in servants so make sure everyone agrees on what's fair right from the start.

It sounds a bit like a mini "intentional community" and those can work wonderfully or be a nightmare that falls apart. You can only go by how good your friendship is and whether you're able to speak honestly and openly with your friends. It's a tough decision but could end up being a great opportunity.

Jaynebxl Sat 30-Mar-13 10:05:12

Sounds fab but I agree with who... Get it drawn up into a contract. Will you be expected to do farmwork too cos it sounds like you are getting the bigger half of the house.

AliceWChild Sat 30-Mar-13 10:24:41

Where do you live now? Do you have experience of farm life? There's a tendency for it to be romanticised so worth getting a more realistic perspective, if you don't already. FWIW I wouldn't do it. Love visiting the countryside but living in it is totally not for me.

Also agree with the others, you need to be very very clear on the agreement or it could all go very wrong.

herhonesty Sat 30-Mar-13 10:49:20

Go for it. You can always move out if it doesn't work,

pollypandemonium Sat 30-Mar-13 11:01:36

Consider what you would do with the 600 and whether the arrangement will be worrh more to you than that. I think its a great idea especially for the dcs.

specialsubject Sat 30-Mar-13 11:51:35

sounds good - IF the owner of the place is aware.

RedHelenB Sat 30-Mar-13 12:15:39

I would try & save the money you save on rent as possibly a deposit or a few months rent & deposit if things go pear shaped. Personally since you are in rented anyway I would give it a go but what's happening kitchen wise?

RedHelenB Sat 30-Mar-13 12:17:04

Doesn't sound a great deal for your friends thinking about it - where does their living expenses come from if they are working on the farm all the time?

Daisybell1 Sat 30-Mar-13 15:42:43

This could work, but I agree the owners need to be aware.

Farm life is relentless. Are your friends going to be managers or do they have the tenancy? If they are farm managers then they may have relief cover for holidays, if they are tenants then it's up to them to pay for cover. It sounds as though you may be the cover!

We farm and have dd, feel free to pm me for a few farming realities grin

formicaqueen Sun 31-Mar-13 23:44:30

I would do it but would want to know about running costs.

Oreocrumbs Mon 01-Apr-13 10:11:20

I'm a bit wary here, being a believer that nothing in life is for free!

I'm also wary of living with close friends. Of course it depends on what your personalities are, but can see loads of pitfalls (for me anyway) and I wouldn't risk my close friendships, because if they go sour you can rarely get them back.

I've no experience of farmimg but I know it is hard work and long hours, and sometimes all hands on deck.

What will you have to do? Looking after their DD? How often? That in itself might become a full time job that you have to accomodate around your own.

What kind of building it this? Are we talking about a big ramshackle farmhouse - that will cost an arm leg and both kidneys to keep even barely warm? You need to find out what the running costs are, and who is responsible for the repairs and upkeep.

It may well be that it is for the tenant to sort out and that may in turn be you.

Finally I would think about what you are giving up. Yes you would be able to leave and go back into private rental, although it might spoil your frienship, but do you have a good LL/house at the moment that you would be giving up?

Some LLs are ace, but as you see on here time and time again there are still a hell of a lot of bad LLs doing the rounds. If you are happy where you are now and with the LL, you would risk putting yourself back at the mercy of private rental and trying to find somewhere decent to move on to.

And as has already been mentioned, do check the LL/owner is aware.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now