Talk

Advanced search

Mentally moving in after offer accepted! Am I jinxing us?

(16 Posts)
Notyetthere Fri 29-Mar-13 22:47:14

We haven't even been to the bank for the full mortgage application. I have set myself up for a very big fall if things don't go as desired.

I have spent all of today thinking about how I could make the hallway more vibrant, which flowers I will put in the raised flowerbeds and where our old uncomfortable sofas will go. This is not good! Is it normal? A lot of things could go wrong so early in the process and I will be heartbroken if it falls through.

Anybody going through the same emotions?

cq Fri 29-Mar-13 22:54:46

Completely natural. You have to fall in love with your new house to get through all the stress of the move! As long as you keep telling yourself to calm down, you'll keep your feet on the ground.

We had our offer accepted about 6 weeks ago, nearly ready to exchange but not there yet. I am daydreaming about summer barbecues in our new garden grin

SquinkieBunnies Sat 30-Mar-13 00:37:29

Perfectly normal. I do the same thing grin

Jaynebxl Sat 30-Mar-13 07:39:29

Me too!

Jaynebxl Sat 30-Mar-13 07:42:10

Have you posted about your new house? I think I remember your user name.

Notyetthere Sat 30-Mar-13 08:30:03

Yes I did post. Our offer was accepted on Tuesday past! Appointment booked with bank for full app on Tuesday but the way I'm planning you might think we are completing tomorrow. I can't wait to start packing and move out of our rental.

As a FTB (an older one at that) I believe I'm showing amateurish behaviour and lack the coolness of experienced buyers who approach the process with calm; I on the other hand are very impatient and all this waiting to see the bank, then wait for them to make a decision, then valuation, more docs requested, etc... It's going to kill me!

When you were buying your houses, at what stage in the process did you start to pack? Was it after mortgage offer or after exchange? Has it all fallen through after mortgage offer that you ended up having to unpack? It's all worrying and exciting at the same time.

Notyetthere Sat 30-Mar-13 08:36:45

And what is contained in a Sales memorandum? We have been waiting to receive one since Tuesday and itching to see what's in it! Are we supposed to have it on Tuesday when go to bank?

LondonKitty Sat 30-Mar-13 09:01:17

Your feelings are totally normal. All that planning and dreaming is exciting and irresistible.

Unfortunately....

Because, having learned the very bitter and hard way, it is tragically common for things to go wrong.

Heartbreaking to be literally all packed up and expecting to move - in one case within days - and then for it all to fall though! I have mentally redecorated and extended two homes now only to have different things go wrong and I never moved in...

Never the bank btw! Buyers pull out, sellers pull out, trees fall on houses, pipes burst and ruin period features, surveys throw up unexpected issues, the list goes on (and these are examples I personally know of).

It is one of the most stressful things you can ever go through.

shock

Good luck and if you do have to go through any of this crap, remember you will get there in the end!

flow4 Sat 30-Mar-13 09:35:35

I haven't even had my offer accepted and I'm mentally planning a conservatory extension! hmm Silly, silly, silly... But I guess normal! grin

AliceWChild Sat 30-Mar-13 10:31:01

Totally normal grin I'm currently moving in mine in my head. Walk past it every single day. The neighbours now say hello. grin

Don't worry about being a cool calm shrewd house buyer. It's all a stupid game. Be you and enjoy it.

Of course it can go wrong, but if it happens, deal with it then. I don't think the disappointment will be significantly increased by unpacking a box too. It'll be gutting whatever.

specialsubject Sat 30-Mar-13 11:52:41

you need this kind of doublethink - you have to really want the house to pay all that money for it, but you also have to be aware that it might not happen.

no such thing as jinx or luck, of course.

Notyetthere Sat 30-Mar-13 22:50:40

But when in the process should one start getting the boxes in and start packing? I like to plan everything or like BF says, I'm being impatientgrin.

IHeartKingThistle Sat 30-Mar-13 22:53:13

Not yet, long way to go!

AliceWChild Sun 31-Mar-13 07:36:55

Depends what kind of chain you have. We don't have one, our financial situation was a bit complex, but we used a broker. We offered/accepted 6 weeks ago. We've not got any boxes yet. If you have a chain it could be many months yet (hence why we avoided a house that would lead to one)

Notyetthere Sun 31-Mar-13 11:45:57

We are in a chain of 4. We are at the bottom. People at the top are buying new build. We are in rented. Our vendor sold to us with the hoping to complete in six weeks. Full mortgage app and appointing solicitors on Tuesday. If anything I think it will be the mortgage application to acceptance process that takes longest.

Do I start packing after bank gives formal offer and very close to exchange or should I start packing after exchange if not completing in the same day?

flow4 Sun 31-Mar-13 12:16:20

Mortgage application processes seem really variable. I don't know whether it's because I'm borrowing a relatively small amount with a LTV of only around 50%, but it has been very quick and easy for me so far...

I did some research, and in the end decided to use a broker who seemed very experienced and knowledgeable. He visited me one day last week, and came prepared with some mortgage illustrations. I picked one, he took my key 'proof' docs with him (ID, payslips, bank statement), and went away to begin the application on-line. The next morning, he phoned me to confirm I was happy, I transferred the application fee to his bank account (via internet banking) and he completed the application. Less than half an hour later he phoned me back to say the mortgage was approved subject only to survey! I haven't had an offer accepted, so obviously I can't order the survey until I have, but when I do get to that point, it should all proceed pretty quickly... I hope! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now