Talk

Advanced search

Rented changing locks

(7 Posts)
rebecca87 Tue 26-Mar-13 15:29:37

I wondered if anyone could help, we've moved into a rented house and we've asked if we can change the locks (mainly because the key is stiff and also due to a thread on here about it) and they've said no, am I just being silly about the safety issue of not knowing if the landlord has all the keys etc? Thanks

jammybean Tue 26-Mar-13 15:56:15

If the lock is stiff, report that it is and hope that its rectified. The landlord is under no obligation to change the locks. With regards to safety in rental properties, you always live with the knowledge that the landlord has a set of keys, as well as the letting agent. Not much you can do about it imho. I could be wrong tho.

myfirstkitchen Tue 26-Mar-13 15:58:50

Just change them and put the old ones back when you move out?

NeverBeenToMe Tue 26-Mar-13 16:02:24

Perhaps ask to swap keys - yours may be a copy of a copy, and each cutting will be ever so slightly different. Im having the same issue but putting off changing them as locksmiths seem to want to rip me off to the tune of £70 plus VAT!

jammybean Tue 26-Mar-13 17:24:40

myfirstkitchen is that allowed generally? shock I lived in rental for 7 years+ and always assumed that a Landlord had a right of access into the property, with notice of course.

rebecca87 Tue 26-Mar-13 17:43:53

Thanks for replies - just spoke to them again (a different person at the estate agents) and she said that its fine if we want to change the barrel aslong as we give them copies of the keys

specialsubject Tue 26-Mar-13 18:13:44

as usual the letting agent gives the landlord a bad name! Perfectly reasonable thing to ask (as you are paying) and to be agreed.

the landlord can hold the keys but cannot use them without notice and your agreement, unless a real emergency. His property, your home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now