Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know about building regs - specifically means of escape?

(4 Posts)
lalalonglegs Tue 26-Mar-13 12:58:22

We have a flat that has a small lobby between the front door (actually the door that would have originally led into the front room of a typical Victorian terrace) and the corridor behind it. We want to remove this as it is a useless passageway - dark cramped and eats into the reception room. I'm guessing it was put in to provide a protected escape route from the room behind it (the back reception room, now the bedroom) to the communal hallway and out of the building but, as the flat is a ground floor flat with windows onto a garden at the rear, would it be credible to say that the bedroom window was the means of escape? All anyone would have to do is climb out of into the garden or walk down some stairs into the kitchen area and then through the back door to the garden. I don't know if this is sufficient for building control though.

Can anyone help?

quoteunquote Tue 26-Mar-13 13:18:35

You need to ask at your local council planning office, before you have the work done, make appointment and take your drawing in.

Don't worry there is always a solution, just make sure you can get the work signed off by choosing the right one.

lalalonglegs Tue 26-Mar-13 13:31:46

Thanks for answering - that's the problem I am having with this particular local authority, they are very quick to say no but give no guidance regarding what might be acceptable. We've had huge aggro with them in the past so wanted a general idea of what might be ok before I went in.

architectming Tue 26-Mar-13 13:53:15

Without knowing the detail layout of your flat, it is difficult to advice you what you should do. There are specific requirement for means of escape on residential dwelling.

I would suggest you to speak to a local architect and ask for advice, he/she will be able to inspect the building, give you proper advice and submit plans / talk to building control to resolve the issues for you. We are mostly a friendly bunch so no need to by shy.

Good Luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now