Talk

Advanced search

Does everyone get an asbestos survey before doing DIY jobs in an old house?

(7 Posts)
lilasimpson Mon 25-Mar-13 19:16:28

Hi there, posted a couple of days ago to ask about asbestos exposure... I am worried sick that I might have exposed my family and builders to asbestos as we did the whole house up with garage, taking no precaution as all... I am from abroad where all houses are newly built and I never expected to find asbestos in homes,....It never crossed my mind until I talked to one of my friend who told me that asbestos was in most old homes..... but I never saw anyone taking precautions on my road when doing buiding work!! There is building work everywhere...please advise me!!

xabiuol Mon 25-Mar-13 21:48:34

Hi Lila,
I don't think it's true that "most" older houses have asbestos.
Did you have a survey done when you bought your house? If you did, this should have identified any asbestos present. Also the builders should be on the ball about the possible asbestos. Did you use a reputable company?

Oreocrumbs Mon 25-Mar-13 21:51:19

I didn't see your last thread, is all of the work finished now?

You mention builders, presuming they are 'proper' builders (rather than a mate of a mate down the pub) then if they suspect asbestos they will make you/arrange an asbestos test before any work starts.

If they haven't done this, then I would assume that there was no reason to believe that it was present.

Equally you need to dispose of asbestos in a certain way - that would have cost you extra, so you would have been aware of it.

So don't worry. If you have any further work done, check with the trade if they need to have an asbestos test done (not sure exactly what this entails, I've had it done a couple of times, but it was done by the tradesman, I didn't do anything), and they will point you in the right direction.

Yama Mon 25-Mar-13 21:53:05

I don't know much about asbestos Lilasimpson but a builder recently told me that most Artex has asbestos. He had only recently found out himself.

Also, a lot of old garages have asbestos in their roofing.

I'm not much help, just bumping for you.

lalalonglegs Mon 25-Mar-13 21:53:45

I agree that your builders would probably have recognised it if there was any there.

morethanpotatoprints Mon 25-Mar-13 21:58:42

How old are you talking here?

Our house is Edwardian and no asbestos really. We had a very old boiler taken out when we moved in and that was on an asbestos base. Apparently it is only a problem if you break it. However, if you find any you are supposed to ask your council to dispose of it if you are doing any work. If its just there on top of a garage or shed it is harmless. We are moving a small out house to have it extended, we have to inform council as it has an asbestos roof.
In other words don't try and dispose of it yourself. Hope this helps a bit.

lilasimpson Tue 26-Mar-13 17:08:42

Thanks all for your reply... The work was done by check a trade plumbers but the builders were recommended by a friend unfortunately...not sure if they would have recognised any...the house is from 1900s I believe, not quite sure...I have decided to stop worrying as it is driving me insane!! I was pregnant at the time...keep wondering how much harm we had from building work.... Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now