Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone advice about using new build recommended solicitor?

(15 Posts)
friendlyface12 Sat 23-Mar-13 19:46:33

We have been offered a deal with a new build housebuilder but they have said it's condition we use their recommended solicitor and mortgage company. If we don't use these then there is no deal unless we buy the house at full asking price with nothing extra ie stamp duty paid.

Does anyone have any experience good or bad about using the builder's recommended solicitor?what would you advise?

Brockle Sat 23-Mar-13 19:52:34

Not had any experience re mortgage but usually the recommended solicitors are good. They have normally done a lot of other properties on the same development so all the documentation is familiar to them and they are only recommended if they do a good job and get the purchase through quickly. I deal with recommended solicitors a lot as I act for developers on newbuild sales and recommended solicitors are a lot better than solicitors who are unfamiliar with the sites. I hope that helps.

brumeye Sat 23-Mar-13 19:53:23

No personal experience but I would run a mile.

I've heard so many tales of dodgy solicitors not telling buyers about issues on new build properties that it just seems incredibly risky to me. How much are you saving on this so-called special deal? (Over comparable properties, not over the inflated advertised price)?

I think new builds in general are pretty poor value, but trying yourself into sub-optimal solicitors and mortgage deals on the biggest purchase you'll ever make is a bad idea as far as I'm concerned.

Trazzletoes Sat 23-Mar-13 19:57:33

As a solicitor myself (though not in property) I would be very angry at having to use a specified solicitor.

Obviously they can offer you these benefits but the house would have to be something pretty special for me to put up with that.

Brockle Sat 23-Mar-13 19:59:32

to be fair brumeye its sometimes the non recommended solicitors that don't ask the pertinent questions. I have known solicitors raise no enquiries at all which always worries me but in our case we send all of the documentation to recommended solicitors before the properties are sold so that they can go through them and raise any enquiries. I have never known a recommended solicitor not be thorough. by the way I have no vested interest as they usually get paid a lot more than we do!

GettingObsessive Sat 23-Mar-13 20:01:31

As another solicitor, I would be less concerned about the solicitor than about the mortgage. The solicitor is legally obliged to act in your best interests at all times. However, I would want to do some very careful calculations to compare the mortgage deal you are getting, including penalties for selling or remortgaging in due course. Also, what kickbacks is the developer getting from the mortgage company?

myhandslooksoold Sat 23-Mar-13 20:03:40

Do not do it! The recommended solicitor on the estate I live on did not advise the buyers that the road was not adoptedby the council, nor was there what is called a' section 38' agreement to ensure adoption took place. Horrendous problems ensued....

friendlyface12 Sun 24-Mar-13 07:52:12

Thanks all, I'm not sure what the devoper gets from the mortgage company. We are pretty annoyed as they waited til we were about to go in to sign the reservation document to tell us that we had to use their recommended solicitors and mortgage company if we want to have the deal of stamp duty paid and part exchange our property. They said if we buy it at the full price with no deal then we can use our own mortgage and solicitors. I thought that the nhbc say that builders can't make you use particular service providers but it seems standard practise.

gregssausageroll Sun 24-Mar-13 08:33:13

I second what gettingobsessive has said.

friendlyface12 Sun 24-Mar-13 22:47:52

How can we make sure we don't get ripped off if we do go for it? Obviously they know people get their hearts set on houses- that's why they can pull these kinds of stunts!

LaCerbiatta Sun 24-Mar-13 23:42:46

We're just about to complete on a new biuld having gone with reccommended solicitor. Same as you - we got incentives for going with their broker and solicitor. Positives - they know the development and they're committed to doing everything within the timelines (which in our case are tight). Also, if deadlines are missed or something else doesn't go well, they can't blame our solicitor.
Negatives - you totally feel that they're not working for you they're working for the developer. They basically just forward on what the developers send them (in our case without even reading it!) so you know that important questions are probably not asked and nothing wrong with the house or against the developer will ever be 'found'.
In our case we opted for trusting the developer and only time will tell if we've made a mistake.....

LaCerbiatta Sun 24-Mar-13 23:44:06

An independent survey will at least set your mind at rest about the property.
(the surveyors that did ours didn't even get to the house...........)

myhandslooksoold Mon 25-Mar-13 07:53:52

You could always additionally employ your own solicitor to do searches and to check what the recommended solicitor has done?

friendlyface12 Mon 25-Mar-13 16:31:59

That is a good idea myhandslooksoold but how much would it cost?

friendlyface12 Tue 26-Mar-13 19:07:39

Tugamommy how is your purchase going?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now