Talk

Advanced search

2 bedroom detached house with a garage or 3 bed terraced without?

(56 Posts)
lookingforhome Sat 23-Mar-13 16:18:57

Hi all kind mumsnetters. We are looking for our first family home (2 adults and 2 children), and am thinking of it as forever home - I hate the stress of moving.

We have 2 options in the same area, where houses do not come up too often: 2 bedroom detached town house with a garage. Slightly cheaper.
3 bedroom terraced house without a garage. Would be slightly stretching our budget, but still within.

3 bedroom sounds fantastic, however the first thing I think about is storage! Bikes, scooters, paints, gardening tools, buckets, christmas tree, shoes, toys etc. At the moment I keep many things in the shed and although nothing is permanently damaged, it is damp and cold.

Then I think how I could convert the back of the garage to keep all this stuff and make a nice tiled mud room/utility room and get excited!

Please tell me if I am crazy or not.

I think my boys would be OK to share the room permanently, as they are now, but I may be so wrong!

noisytoys Sat 23-Mar-13 16:21:34

2 bed with garage!! The garage would be so useful especially as the boys get older, their outdoor stuff gets bigger

SirChenjin Sat 23-Mar-13 16:23:49

2 bed with garage every time. A garage is essential for storing all the 'stuff' that families seem to accumulate imo. I like being detached and not having to worry about disturbing the neighbours and vice versa.

cece Sat 23-Mar-13 16:24:25

I'd go detached every time even if meant kids had to share. Plus you could also convert garage to an extra bedroom at a later date..

lookingforhome Sat 23-Mar-13 16:33:37

3 bed would have downstairs toilet, and 2 bed not. 2 bed has windows to all four sides and lovely views. Though the garage cannot be converted to more than a storage/utility room (no windows there).

Glad to hear your opinions as I am leaning toward 2 bed myself. It would be easier on our budget too.

I am embracing myself to post the links..

expatinscotland Sat 23-Mar-13 16:34:20

I would go detached every time!

Ragwort Sat 23-Mar-13 16:35:34

Detached and garage smile

ProphetOfDoom Sat 23-Mar-13 16:36:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChunkyEasterChick Sat 23-Mar-13 16:37:38

2 bed detached in this instance. Garage is essential imo & you may have possibility to extend etc later on, whereas terraced limits those options.

MisForMumNotMaid Sat 23-Mar-13 16:39:17

Is there potential to go up or out with the two bed?

KoalaFace Sat 23-Mar-13 16:39:24

We've just moved into 2 bed bungalow with garage and bug garden. I DS and baby on the way and we are so pleased that we didn't stretch our budget or compromise on location and garage for a third bedroom.

KoalaFace Sat 23-Mar-13 16:40:22

grin bug garden...obviously meant big but I prefer bug I think!

MTSgroupie Sat 23-Mar-13 16:42:32

I vote for detached every time.

I grew up in a semi. As an adult I live in a flat conversion. I had a lifetime of hearing voices/TV etc from upstairs/downstairs/next door. Never again.

Fayrazzled Sat 23-Mar-13 16:43:04

I live in a terraced house (family of 4- 2 adults and 2 children) and I can confirm a garage is NOT essential, although it may be useful. We manage perfectly fine without one and just a have a small shed. I'd take the extra bedroom every time.

SirChenjin Sat 23-Mar-13 16:43:32

Oooh, I want a bug garden, that sounds like fun!! grin

Post the link OP, you know we you want to!

Fluffy1234 Sat 23-Mar-13 16:44:59

I'd go for the three bedroom house as would prefer to have more rooms for the DC, especially as they get older than space to store stuff.

whosiwhatsit Sat 23-Mar-13 17:02:38

I'd go detached as you can't choose your neighbours.

lookingforhome Sat 23-Mar-13 17:13:10

Alright...
2 bed
3 bed could not get the link of the exact house, so hope this one will work.

Fluffy1234 Sat 23-Mar-13 17:22:07

Does the 2 bedder have a garden?

ILikeBirds Sat 23-Mar-13 17:24:22

Everything else the same and I'd probably go for the 2 bed, but a 3 bed with garden v. a 2 bed without and I'd probably go for a garden. A third bedroom can function as storage space too.

lookingforhome Sat 23-Mar-13 17:25:04

Fluffy, no only a roof terrace/balcony, but before you ask having no garden is a bonus for me for various reasons. I need some outside space but a garden equals a burden to me and the one that we currently have, we use it 2 days in a year.

Fluffy1234 Sat 23-Mar-13 17:26:37

I think the 3 bedroom one is a lot better. You may outgrow the 2 bedroom quickly.

belfastbigmillie Sat 23-Mar-13 17:28:43

Out of those 2, personally I'd go for the 3 bedroom. I like the way they all centre round that nice little courtyard thingy.

ILikeBirds Sat 23-Mar-13 17:31:12

The thing that would put me off the 2 bed is having the stairs from the entrance into the lounge, then you have to go through the lounge to get upstairs/to the kitchen. So your lounge has to function as a corridor as well as a lounge.

AWimbaWay Sat 23-Mar-13 17:36:03

The 3 bed is nicer. I live in a 4 bed terrace, no garage, 3 dcs, have never missed not having a garage. we have sheds for bikes, scooters etc. and an attic for other stuff. A Garage would just end up being a dumping ground, I'd much rather have a room that was properly used and as they get older I think your dcs will really appreciate their own space.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now