Talk

Advanced search

Very pale carpets. Am I mad??

(17 Posts)
Teeb Tue 12-Mar-13 14:55:05

I'm currently in the process of redoing the master bedroom and at the point of choosing new carpets. My favourite option is a very pale cream/almost white carpet with no pattern at all. Has anyone got any experience or very light coloured carpet and would you do it again?

herhonesty Tue 12-Mar-13 15:18:40

Yes. Not until kids leave.

DaffodilsAhoy Tue 12-Mar-13 15:26:49

We have very light carpet in our bedroom and even with cats and dc it is fine. Had same carpet in lounge though and wish I had gone for something slightly darker.

betterwhenthesunshines Tue 12-Mar-13 15:41:47

Do you have an old house? Ours is Edwardian and we have pale carpets and I have found a certain amount of dust/dirt blows up under the edges of the skirting boards / where the floorboards are. It has meant the edges of the carpets are now very dirty. There is no gap to look at but it must be there as it is only on the external wall sides and it doesn't hoover up. If when we have the carpets replaced I shall try and fill any gaps with decorators caulk before new ones are laid.

Other than that pale carpets have been fine in bedrooms for 8 years now ( as long as you take your shoes off) but I wouldn't have them in main living area.

fussychica Tue 12-Mar-13 17:27:54

We have very pale carpet in lounge and bedrooms but no young kids. Ours has little specs of colour in which definitely helps. When DS was young had plain pale but not cream carpets and they survived quite a few spills. Cream in our bedroom which was fine.

I have recently seen some cream/white carpet that is actually bleachable.

Might be best to go to your local carpet shop and ask for advice.

sherbetpips Tue 12-Mar-13 19:10:00

Mad mad mad, make up stains, cat puke, kids food, hubby forgetting to take shoes off..... Ours looks utterly crap now.

ATouchOfStuffing Tue 12-Mar-13 22:52:36

Just have it on stairs and upstairs. That way people are more likely to take off shoes and you are less likely to take food/things that will stain upstairs. That's what I have with DD (19MO) and only a couple of spills in 7 yrs of having it (drunk friends years ago,so may not be applicable to you now!). You can get certain carpets with protecting surfaces so if spills happen they don't absorb quickly.

Oreocrumbs Tue 12-Mar-13 22:59:06

I suppose it depends on how many children/animals and other mess makers you have!

I had them upstairs when I lived alone and they were fine...But I didn't put my make up on in that room. I also had the same problem as betterwhenthesunshines, with the edges getting grubby from mystery dust.

Other than that they were fine.

I wouldn't consider them now though. Too many messy creatures in our house DP I'm looking at you.

I viewed a house a while back that had white carpets all through the downstairs, including right up to the front door and they were immaculate. I was very intimidated by them grin.

FlatCapAndAWhippet Wed 13-Mar-13 05:21:10

Dusty edges here too!

LovesBeingWokenEveryNight Wed 13-Mar-13 05:37:42

Your bedroom is fine, anywhere else no

wonkylegs Wed 13-Mar-13 07:07:50

We have a pale fawn coloured carpet (so quite light but not cream), it wasn't expensive (it was put down by developer not us), it's now 9 years old and still in really good nick. We have a 4yo DS and we're not bothered about shoes on the carpet. The carpet is on the stairs and everywhere upstairs except the bathroom.
It does show dust at the edges (looks slightly grey)but I recently found that if you run a sticky clothes lint roller along the edge you can completely remove it so my carpet looks brand new again.

wecantallbeperfect Wed 13-Mar-13 11:50:36

We live on a farm with a very mucky yard, we have cream carpets, four children and a dog! The carpets are pure wool, they stay clean and if there is an accident-like one visitor who didn't take off his shoes and trod cow muck through the whole house looking for me-they can be easily cleaned.

sausagebaconandtomatobutty Wed 13-Mar-13 11:52:34

I have very pale cream in my bedroom

I also have a dressing table where I do my makeup in my bedroom

it was a bad idea!

Toastato Wed 13-Mar-13 15:09:49

We have pale carpets and it's fine, BUT we don't have kids or pets!

I do always have to ask guests to take shoes off (some people need to be asked) but you would not have that issue as assume the guests would not be going in your bedroom

haveapear Wed 13-Mar-13 19:10:36

Yes especially if you drink coffee and are clumsy.

HaveToWearHeels Thu 14-Mar-13 14:34:27

I have cream carpets, a 3 year old and a large dog...oh and also a Vax. They are fine but do need spot cleaning every few weeks.

loveisagirlnameddaisy Tue 07-May-13 16:57:26

We have beige carpets - the standard sort of colour that most people have these days - darker than cream though. We have a shoes off policy in the house although I don't ask guests to take theirs off - feels kind of rude. Anyway, carpets have a layer of scotchguard on them and have fared pretty well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now