Advanced search

So pissed off with our vendor! Is pulling out now just cutting off our nose to spite our face?

(29 Posts)
AngryFeet Thu 07-Mar-13 19:48:43

[[ Here is my first thread about this]].

Vendor is now saying he wont pay the indemnity insurance. It is £76!! I am so annoyed with him. Don't know what to do next. Call his bluff or just swallow the 76 quid. We are still waiting for the solicitors report with the results of searches but aside from that we are close to exchange. No other houses in the area that suit.

bemybebe Fri 08-Mar-13 13:17:10

Looking at the other thread, iI you are not prepared to pay £76 as one of the costs to buy that house, you should not proceed. This situation is not unique and you should not feel that strong about it. Remember, you are buying a home, not doing a favour to your vendor by buying his property.

noddyholder Fri 08-Mar-13 12:59:57

Our vendor is being a pain too He suggested wednesday to exchange with friday to complete (today). I did all the money and sent it etc and now our solicitor says they are not answering! We are in rented so its not vital we complete today but I need to get the keys from the agent which is in another town about 20 miles away! I would in your situation probably pay the 76 to end the stress!

AngryFeet Fri 08-Mar-13 11:58:22

But tallulah in the end he didn't get planning permission and building regs and he should have done. So we are taking a bit of a gamble tbh. The council could technically come after us (unlikely but not impossible) and get us to pull it down. It could have been badly built (again unlikely). So if he is angry at us he is a bit of an arsehole tbh.

Either way I am going to pay it. Still pisses me off. Especially since he didn't mention these extensions and the lack of documentation at any point until we brought it up this far down the line (partially solicitors faults admittedly).

tallulah Fri 08-Mar-13 11:40:12

We had this but from the other side when we moved. We had an internal garage which we turned into an internal room.

At the last minute the buyers solicitors demanded insurance. It caused huge ructions and we felt exactly as you do now. I expect your vendor feels just as angry as you. This is another new con thing.

DH was so angry he threatened to just pull down the wall and pull up the floor to make it back into a garage.

He didn't but we refused to pay the insurance and said if they wanted it they could pay, since it wouldn't benefit us at all.

Eurostar Fri 08-Mar-13 11:19:50

I haven't read the other thread but is it your solicitor saying you need the insurance and his saying that it is not necessary?

Honestly, just pay it, you won't even notice it, imagine the time and money you will waste if you pull out now, that would be serious cutting off your nose to spite your face if you pull out for £75 when having paid survey fees etc..

However, if this is actually a bit of an excuse to pull out because you are not really sure about the place....pull out.

TheCokeMachine Fri 08-Mar-13 11:13:41

We paid out for the house we bought, it really wasn't worth arguing about. I was at the exact same point as you six months ago - I was ready to kill the vendor. My husband was apoplectic. There was tons of stress and swearing, no one would budge.

I took a deep breath, and agreed to pay it. It was the right thing to do, we exchanged the following Monday.

House buying seems to send even the most agreeable people to the brink of insanity. Just pay it wink

iheartdusty Fri 08-Mar-13 11:02:04

pay the £76

then when you have the house collect up all old and unwanted fixtures and any rubbish he may leave behind and go and dump them in his new garden

ISeeSmallPeople Fri 08-Mar-13 10:27:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Potterer Fri 08-Mar-13 10:24:49

Honestly, pay it, we paid a hell of a lot more than that for stuff that needed sorting in the house and we swallowed it because it is our forever home and there was nothing like it on the market.

At the end of the day, how would you feel 6 months down the line if there was nothing else worth buying.

I think at this stage it becomes a game of who will pay this, who will concede on that. Pay £76 and be done with it, rush it through now and get done.

HandMini Fri 08-Mar-13 08:27:14

Pay the money. In any buy/sell situation, someone holds the whip hand and unfortunately in this case, it's your vendor....usually the case in house sales when a buyer has got far enough down the track with a property. Pay the £76, enjoy your new home!

ArbitraryUsername Fri 08-Mar-13 08:22:01

Our solicitor said we had to get the insurance. It seems like a bit of a scam (along with much else in buying a house). But it's such a tiny amount of money given how much you're spending on the house/everything else. It just isn't worth agonising over.

Once the house is yours you'll forget about what an utter wanker the vendor was (and never have to think about him again).

FlatCapAndAWhippet Fri 08-Mar-13 05:55:41

He's being petty the £76 and forget it. It's pennies in the greta scheme of things.

AngryFeet Thu 07-Mar-13 22:47:49

Agreed it is just me being petty i think ;)

whattodoo Thu 07-Mar-13 22:37:32

In 3 months time, which would you regret more - a) not paying the 76 and walking away from the house or b) paying the 76 and getting the great house in a perfect location?

Dromedary Thu 07-Mar-13 22:29:51

People get ridiculously petty in house sales - just pay the money and don't sink to his level.

myron Thu 07-Mar-13 22:24:04

£76 is neither here or there in the scheme of things. You can still proceed without an indemnity insurance policy in place. If you wish to benefit from it, buy it. If you're wavering in any event about the purchase and this plants yet another seed of doubt, walk away or at least take the weekend to reflect first!

AngryFeet Thu 07-Mar-13 22:10:21

The mortgage company may insist on it or I doubt I would bother Ilike smile

ILikeBirds Thu 07-Mar-13 21:59:28

I'd just not bother with the indemnity insurance personally. It's only protecting against risk of enforcement from the council and if the extensions are that old there is no risk.

financialwizard Thu 07-Mar-13 21:07:37

In your position I'd pay the £76. There are plenty more things to stress about.

purplewithred Thu 07-Mar-13 20:17:06

You said 'it's a great house in a perfect location' - IMHO you'd be nuts to walk away for £76. How much has it cost you to get this far?

ArbitraryUsername Thu 07-Mar-13 20:14:54

Yes, but you'll also suffer. Our extensions are about the same age as yours. The surveyor said they were fine and it's long, long past the point that anyone would take any enforcement action. The insurance just wasn't worth pulling out over.

AngryFeet Thu 07-Mar-13 20:10:26

I know. I am just so annoyed at his entitled attitude. Feel like he should suffer a bit!

impecuniousmarmoset Thu 07-Mar-13 20:06:49

I don't think anything to do with a house sale is ever worth walking away over 76 pounds!!! If you like the house and you think the minor gamble is worth it (and since you are talking about demolishing most of the extension it clearly seems like it is), then swallow the 76 pounds - in a heartbeat! It'll cost you a HELL of a lot more to walk away!

AngryFeet Thu 07-Mar-13 20:04:14

Well there appears to be no issue with the extensions as they are 20 and 25 years old with no sign of cracking etc. But we cannot be 100 percent sure. Why do you say walk away Mrs Jrewing?

BreasticlesNotTesticles Thu 07-Mar-13 19:56:14

Having looked at your other thread there isn't an issue with the extension? And your solicitor said that there is no need to worry as all over 10 years?

I would go ahead, and pay the £76 if you need it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now