Advanced search

Just accepted an offer on our house & had an offer accepted on another house. Anyone want to join me in a hoping it all goes OK/preparing to move thread?

(94 Posts)
jenduck Tue 26-Feb-13 16:24:59

We have just accepted an offer on our house of 183k, not too bad as it was on for 189k. The buyers say they are cash buyers with money in the bank (although my dad, our conveyancer, says always to be wary of people claiming this until you've seen the evidence wink). We have also had an offer accepted on another house of 223k (was on for 239k). The vendors are 2 brothers who have rented it out & have to give a 2-month notice period.

From our side, there shouldn't be any problem with the legal side of things as my dad is our solicitor, plus I work there 1 day a week! Our mortgage has also been agreed in principle, have to go in at the weekend to sign some more forms.

We would like to be in the new place in time for the first May bank holiday, as there is a lot of work to do. Ddad says this is entirely realistic, given the chain-free nature of things.

I am, however, panicking about packing everything up in such a short time! We have tons of junk stuff & I don't know where to start! I also am mainly SAHM to DSes 4.2 & 22m for 4 days a week & can't really do anything with them around - DS2, in particular, will just unpack anything I pack! Thinking of asking Dgrandparents to come round for an hour once a week, to take boys for a walk or just sit with them while I go up in the loft of doom

Think I will start tomorrow by taking a few black bags of clothes to the cash for clothes place nearby whilst DS1 is in pre-school. We are putting any cash we get from selling things into a tin you can only open with a tin-opener & will then use it for furniture for the new house (Ebay!)

Is there anybody in a similar situation who wants to join me???

imonkey Mon 08-Apr-13 15:41:09

I'd also like to join as a latecomer.

Had our offer accepted on 12th Feb, mortgage offer went through quickly and smoothly, the valuation was booked within days but it threw up all sorts of things which needed checking out in more detail with experts.

So I'm up every night stressing about building regulations or lack of, and whether or not the house is likely to fall down if we go ahead and buy it. We can't seem to get straight answers from the 'experts' and are left utterly confused about the whole situation.

And to think our EA estimated our completion at 5th April- hahaha!

Please somebody reassure me that this level of stress is 'normal' for a house purchase.......

Goodwordguide Fri 05-Apr-13 15:29:30

Les Hinks in SE London - not sure exactly where but theynhave a website if you google.they were recommended to me and they were great and very cheap and also very calm when their van couldn't fit through the ates of our new home!

Hope your move goes well.

monkeytennismum Fri 05-Apr-13 10:20:51

Goodwordguide congratulations on your move! Hope you're very happy in your new home. We're in SE London and preparing to move - is it Hinks Removals in Lee that you used? Always good to get a recommendation.

flow4 Fri 05-Apr-13 10:15:18

How exciting Good! Hope it all goes well... Enjoy your new home! grin

Goodwordguide Fri 05-Apr-13 09:05:40

Yay, we're in and it is fantastic! Loving the space and still feel like we managed to buy the nicest house we saw.

Moving day was pretty horrid though the removals were excellent (they're in SE London, called Les Hinks, I thought they were ace and a bargain if anyone wants a recommendation). A couple of 'surprises' about the house eg, one shower leaked straight jnto the kitchen, we still haven't quite worked out the hot water etc but I was expecting worse to be honest - at least the heating works, whichis good, given the snow outside!

Thanks for all the help on this thread and the property bpards and best of luck with all your moves! smile

flow4 Fri 05-Apr-13 08:33:05

Sounds like a good idea, Not. Might try that myself. smile

Notyetthere Fri 05-Apr-13 08:20:59

Received a text from bank last night ( are they still working at that time or computers doing their nightly duties?) saying that a valuation has been booked for 16th April. Does this mean that the underwriters have finished their checks and that they will lend us the money 'subject to survey?

I'm also thinking of being present when the survey is being done in the hope that surveyor will say more than he will public in the report. It also gives me a chance to view the house and take note of where to put things. we offered after 1st viewing and we have not been back since.

kid Fri 05-Apr-13 07:25:14

After our offer was accepted, we went to view our house a second time and I exchange email addresses with the vendor. I am so glad I did as when his solicitor was unable to give my solicitor any information, which was slowing the process down, I got in touch with the vendor and he chased his solicitors.
It also gave us the opportunity to ask him any questions about the house and to arrange any more viewings without having to go thorough the EA. We have started decorating the new house, I am blown away by it and still can't believe its mine!

ninjanurse Thu 04-Apr-13 17:27:09

Updating after my last post a couple of weeks ago - mortagage survey has been done and is all sorted from that side of things. However, I chased our solicitor on Wdnesday and they havent sent off the searches yet as they have not had confirmation from the vendors solicitors yet!!! I chased this with the agents and apparently it has all been sent off today. It bloody better be as my lease on this rented place ends on 25th April and it looks like Im going to have to overstay my lease. Letting agent keeps ringing me to remind me to sign and return my 12 month contract (yeah right!) and I keep ignoring them! Once we have a bit more confirmation from solicitors we will acknowedge them that we will be staying here til completion! Nightmare! Only 2 of us in the chain - should be straightforward!

flow4 Wed 03-Apr-13 09:36:23

I'm using q broker. I umm-ed and ahh-ed about it, but I'm doing buy-to-let as well as a standard mortgage, and I liked him and found him clear and straight-forward, and in the end was persuaded he knew far more about it all than me and would save me time and stress and probably money. So far it's working: I got agreements in principal before I'd even met him, just from phone convos; and the residential mortgage was approved subject to survey within 20 mins, with him doing it all online. And no hard sell at all. smile

Jaynebxl Wed 03-Apr-13 09:34:21

Jenduck are you still on track to be in by May bank holiday?

Jaynebxl Wed 03-Apr-13 09:27:44

Nothing yet Flow, we are on holiday til Friday but I will make contact then.

Notyet I think they have to go through all that but don't really expect anyone to buy it all.

Notyetthere Wed 03-Apr-13 08:28:52

Hi All, we made our full mortgage application yesterday. It took 3.5hrs bse the banks computer kept on crashing so we had to do it all over again a few times. Also their hard sell on home insurance, life and critical illness insurance took an age! Did you all get this hard sell? It felt like if we did not we might not get the mortgagehmm. we only took the life insurance which I still feel we might have got cheaper somewhere else.

Solicitors were instructed yesterday afternoon so now the waiting game starts again. From reading a few posts on here looks like we need to chase solicitors every couple of days. We would like to complete in 6 wks. Our vendor is moving into an empty house.

flow4 Wed 03-Apr-13 07:09:56

Any news, Jayne ?

kid Tue 02-Apr-13 23:52:04

Just read through the last few posts.
jenbird, you are more than entitled to cry after all that has gone on lately for you. Maybe you'll feel a bit better after a cry?

I'm getting my keys tomorrow, have to wait for the solicitors to phone to give the go ahead to collect the keys. I will still be packing over the weekend but will split my time between current home and new house (1hour drive away)

Good luck to everyone, hope your plans are all coming together nicely.

Jaynebxl Sat 30-Mar-13 19:15:12

Flow I think I need to ask some questions after the Easter holiday.

Thanks Kid, will give that a go.

kid Sat 30-Mar-13 16:18:34

I got things moving by phoning my solicitor to ask what the hold up was. She then got on to the other solicitors and that's when the loose ends were chased up and contracts were exchanged. I spoke to my solicitor daily for almost a week before we finally exchanged contracts. It was worth the hassle though as it got me my completion date.

flow4 Sat 30-Mar-13 14:07:10

Sounds very frustrating Jayne, and suggests to me that someone is dragging their heels somewhere. Have you asked the EAs and your solicitor exactly that question too?

Jaynebxl Sat 30-Mar-13 09:48:45

Surveys done on our house and the one we are buying. Mortgages all sorted. Buyers' solicitor's queries about our house all answered. How come we still aren't exchanging?? We had our offer accepted Jan 4th, sold ours a week later and almost 3 months down the line are still waiting...

kid Fri 29-Mar-13 19:57:28

We exchanged contracts yesterday.
Completion is in 5 days. That will mean that from having our offer accepted to completion date was 8 weeks and 1 day.

jenbird Tue 26-Mar-13 18:23:47

Just realised that was a hugely self indulgent post, sorry. natural I envy your packers!

jenbird Tue 26-Mar-13 18:22:25

Can I join as a latecomer too please. We should be having a very straight forward move - we are renting our house out and buying one that is empty, in no chain and wasn't even on the market (I phoned the owner on the off chance). However we have had to remortgage our current house which ended up being delayed due to a technical error and now our second mortgage has been delayed due to an error on the paperwork. Just found out today that one of the searches revealed a potential chancel liability so this will hold the process up even longer.
We have tenants moving in on the 7th and a decorator in on the 2nd. This should have given us plenty of time but as it is I think we will have to stay with in laws and have the prospect of moving our stuff twice.
To add to the stress EVERYTHING has gone wrong in the last 3 months; car, washing machine, Hoover, dryer all broken down, dog died, roof sprung a leak and now the seals have gone on 50% of our double glazing and cost to fix is £750. I have four dc's including a 2 year old and 16 week old. I am self employed and run a small business. I could just cry!

jammybean Tue 26-Mar-13 17:15:45

Notyetthere I was following your other thread. Glad you've found something else that suits you better.

I think after looking for the right house for nearly a year. And falling for 2 other houses I've become somewhat detached from the whole process. It'll sink in on our first night at the new house, I'm sure.

NaturalBaby Tue 26-Mar-13 16:49:22

We I will not be packing everything up ourselves, am definitely getting packers in and may even get the unpacking done as well! I cannot cope with that at all, even though I am a total control freak and did it all last time (pre DC). I do not want to live among boxes but there is no usable loft or garage space for storage so not sure where stuff will go for storage.

flow4 Tue 26-Mar-13 16:44:15

I'm eavesdropping watching with interest cos I'm in the middle of negotiations (the vendor has just made a counter-offer I am considering)... I have been in my current house for 22 years, and you would not believe the amount of junk we have accumulated! The good news is, I am letting this house not selling it so can move over a few days rather than in a single day, and there's a garage in the new place! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now