Advanced search

Lined plasterboard ceilings

(11 Posts)
candyflossy Wed 13-Feb-13 21:59:12

Just been reading through my house structural survey. Under the ceiling section, it days that ceilings throughout are in plasterboard and that the ceilings are lined. What does it means by "lined"? Thanks for your help.

lalalonglegs Wed 13-Feb-13 22:12:50

I would take it to mean that they have lining paper over them.

candyflossy Wed 13-Feb-13 22:16:11

Sorry for being dumb, but what is lining paper?

bigbadbarry Wed 13-Feb-13 22:18:34

It is like wallpaper but plain so you can paint it

candyflossy Wed 13-Feb-13 22:24:41

Thanks for explaining. Ours has a kind of pattern on it, is it possible with a lining paper? I am concerned it could be artex ceiling? It couldn't be artex if it is lined?

LittlePushka Wed 13-Feb-13 22:25:52

I would not think a surveyor would comment on wheterh a ceiling had lining paper on it. It would be more usual for a plaster board ceiling to be skimmed. I would have thought lined plaster board was board with integral insulation or heat reflective foil on the back. Ring your surveyor and ask...!

nocake Thu 14-Feb-13 07:27:12

Ceiling paper can be textured and there's no reason a surveyor wouldn't mention that it has lining paper if he/she wanted to make it clear that the textured fnish wasn't artex.

But... the best person to ask is the surveyor.

candyflossy Thu 14-Feb-13 08:32:43

I think it is most likely textured paper because the report says ceilings are lined and emulsion painted. I just didn't know you can get textured paper for ceilings before.

PigletJohn Fri 15-Feb-13 13:30:31

if it's paper over plasterboard that's a bit of a pig which might be why he mentioned it.

plasterboard is a thin sheet of plaster with paper stuck to it. If it isn't skimmed with finish plaster it will be impossible very difficult to get the paper off without damaging the plasterboard.

Never mind, you can get it skimmed for a few £hundred per room.

Textured paper on a ceiling is probably to conceal the poor state of the plasterwork

PigletJohn Fri 15-Feb-13 13:32:38


insulated plasterboard would be called insulated plasterboard.

bigbadbarry Fri 15-Feb-13 13:43:07

We have woodchip over unskimmed plasterboard in some rooms, it is a real pig sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: