Advanced search

Getting the water company to repair drains - anyone done this?

(8 Posts)
NoraFatimaBuffet Tue 12-Feb-13 10:47:00

I'm in the Anglian Water region, and since Oct 2011 they have responsibility for shared drains (i.e. neighbours drains linking within your property boundaries) and drains beyond the property boundary. So... the old drains in my terrace have cracked, allowing gravel etc to get in and rats to get out (ugh). I've had them CCTV surveyed and the problem definitely extends into AW responsibility. Has anyone contacted their water authority re: this kind of issue? Were you successful in getting a repair? Their website doesn't really say what they'll do, just outlines responsibility. I just want to hear from others before I phone them so I don't get fobbed off! smile

NoraFatimaBuffet Tue 12-Feb-13 11:57:52

Hopeful pre-lunch bump...

MooncupGoddess Tue 12-Feb-13 13:24:17

I had an issue with an external stopcock once and rang Thames Water (whose legal responsibility it was). They said they'd put me on the list to have it repaired, but that it might take up to a year!

The reason they don't say what they'll do on the website is that they're trying to evade responsibility. So do quote their legal obligations at them and then follow up in writing. And don't expect swift action.

Stropzilla Tue 12-Feb-13 13:37:42

Yup southern water own mine and they came out in 24 hours. They don't like to admit responsibility so you do need to be a bit firm and say the problem is theirs.

NoraFatimaBuffet Wed 13-Feb-13 14:08:42

Thanks - I had a feeling it would take some 'persuasion' on my part! I've got the CCTV footage on disc, plus property boundary plan with drains marked on it - fingers crossed. Might try and contact the neighbours too, maybe a joint request would be better.

DragonMamma Wed 13-Feb-13 15:02:40

I didn't work for AW but I worked for the sewerage complaints department of my water company until recently.

Basically the priority of works and therefore cash and investigations will be

Internal sewage flooding & pollutions
Serious external sewage flooding
External sewage flooding
Smell complaints

Basically a rat problem will be very low on their list of priorities, they have to address more serious problems first.

My water authority sub contracted vermin investigations out to the LA and they would HAVE to do smoke test, baiting etc before we would even consider a CCTV report. They probably wouldn't accept yours as you are nor legally allowed to be surveying AW drainage and actually, could be liable if you damaged the pipework with inappropriate equipment.

If it's cracked, it'll possibly just need a liner but these are definitely low priority.

DragonMamma Wed 13-Feb-13 15:05:59

Ps, please keep in mind that ALL water companies will have been inundated with requests for works to be carried out on defective drains, by people who purposely sat on the problems, waiting for the transfer of private drains to go ahead.

My old employer increased it's network by 70% overnight, and the budget allocated by ofwat did not increase anywhere near as much.

NoraFatimaBuffet Thu 14-Feb-13 15:08:59

Thanks DragonMamma, that's really useful to know.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: