Advanced search

WWYD? making an offer

(6 Posts)
jammybean Mon 04-Feb-13 10:17:49

We've been stung as two houses we offered on have fallen through for different reasons. So now were a bit cautious and very confused.

We saw this semi detached house on Saturday that ticks quite a few boxes. We love it. 4 beds, big garden, big enough to have a Shetland pony, chickens and long drive. BUT we would be compromising on the location as its further away from the station, the village is also dead. No shops, pub, or school. It was listed 2 weeks ago at 420. Recently been increased to 495 their rationale is that you can apply for planning to build another house inside the grounds.

We don't think it's worth 495. Bearing in mind the village isnt particularly desirable. The neighbour is an oldish chap who can't maintain his house. Think overgrown brambles and peeling paint work. And besides we wouldn't want to develop the plot as it would devalue the current house. SO what would you offer?

wendybird77 Mon 04-Feb-13 10:36:46

I would offer what you think the house is worth as it is. Potential planning permission is not planning permission and there is no guarantee it would be granted. If he wants the extra money then he needs to go to the hassle and expense of applying and gaining planning permission - that would add the value IMO.

If it has just gone on 2 weeks ago though then he may be unwilling to come down. You may have to wait for a while and chance that someone else will get the house in the meantime.

If you don't have to have the house (sounds like you aren't really keen on the location), I would probably wait and see what else comes on the market. Everyone seems to put their houses up in the spring, so something better may come along.

lalalonglegs Mon 04-Feb-13 13:53:01

I wouldn't offer at all if you aren't sold on the location, that's always the most important thing (and I know it's a cliche but it's true).

myron Mon 04-Feb-13 18:58:32

Agree with PP, I would walk away and wait for more houses to come on the market.

Yfronts Tue 05-Feb-13 17:26:56

what do you think the house is worth? Offer only that and state your reasons why. So if you feel it's worth 400, offer 400.

Yfronts Tue 05-Feb-13 17:27:50

maybe wait till more houses come on in a nicer location or he comes to his senses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now