Advanced search

Slightly worrying cracks in our walls - who do I need to call in?

(8 Posts)
ByTheWay1 Wed 30-Jan-13 21:16:15

Yep - we had the same sort of thing - cracks horizontal about a foot from the ceiling upstairs and some vertical under windows, down to doorframe, and an occasional diagonal....
Cautionary tale though - we got the insurance in thinking it was the worst (subsidence) we had to pay the subsidence excess of £1000 - they got a survey done and it turned out to be "roof spread" which is not covered under buildings insurance - so just needed some extra roof bracing done by a structural engineer and problem solved (£800)- (well cracks are still there, since we are too blinking lazy to re plaster... but no more since....)

Hassled Wed 30-Jan-13 21:09:46

Yes - I'd call the insurers first; they'll have their own structural engineers to send round. Our cracks were caused by subsidence caused by long-term leaking drains.

yummymumtobe Wed 30-Jan-13 21:04:13

Replying a bit late so you may have already sorted this, but we informed our buildings insurance company. They then dealt with it so we didn't have to pay for surveys or anything. However, we did have to pay the insurance excess of course.

IHeartKingThistle Sat 26-Jan-13 16:10:47

Really? That's great advice - the surveyors have all quoted me over 400 pounds! Right off to google engineers...

MustafaCake Fri 25-Jan-13 14:15:56

Oh dear poor you.

I would recommend getting a structural engineer round.

We are selling our house and our buyer's surveyor noticed cracks in the walls and ceilings. All he did was note the cracks on the survey (he did not say what was causing them) and he recommended that our buyers get a structural engineer round to find the underlying cause. The structural engineer was able to say what was causing the cracks and cost the repair work for us.

Better not to waste your money on a surveyor if all he's going to do is recommend a structural engineer comes out!

I hope that it's not too big a problem, or too costly.

IHeartKingThistle Fri 25-Jan-13 13:14:20

Some vertical under windows, lots horizontal around ceiling, quite a few diagonal!!!

House is late 70s/early 80s, we've already had to replace 3 of the upstairs walls due to a rotten joist. Builder said the internal walls are made out of two layers of thin breeze blocks rather than one solid breeze block, and they had shifted.

It's not looking good is it? We were so stupid not to get a full structural survey when we bought the house, but we had already paid out for one on a house that fell through and we didn't have any money left!

Oh dear...

FunnysInLaJardin Fri 25-Jan-13 13:10:39

I would get a surveyor to have a look. Are they vertical cracks? They could be settlement cracks around plasterboard if your house is new?

IHeartKingThistle Fri 25-Jan-13 13:08:43

We have lots of cracks around the walls and ceilings, especially upstairs. They seem to be spreading shock

But I don't know who I need to call! A structural engineer? Surveyor? Help! I did suggest googling 'crack man' but not sure that would get me what I need grin Putting a new bathroom in in the spring but there's no way I'm doing it before we get the cracks seen to!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now