Advanced search

Is it a Building Surveyor I need? Or a builder? Or the Council?

(4 Posts)
tricot39 Fri 25-Jan-13 18:07:01

Party wall surveyors are often buildings surveyors too. So ask around and hopefully kill 2 birds with one stone. If you need an engineer the surveyor will let you know.

StKing Fri 25-Jan-13 12:55:13

Thanks Tricot. It is a party wall, but our issue is less about legalities than practicalities i.e. that by cutting the bricks back, our neighbours won't suffer any adverse effects to their extension. I assumed that would require a building bod, alongside any party wall shenaningans? Am I wrong then?

I am in SE btw smile

tricot39 Thu 24-Jan-13 21:55:01

You need a party wall surveyor if you are in england or wales. The party wall act 1996 applies and costs can vary massively. If you are on good terms with your neighbours and you can remain so, costs will be significantly less than if you go into dispute.

Some surveyors are better than others. Where are you?

StKing Thu 24-Jan-13 19:32:10

Hello all

We are trying to build an extension in our garden which will mirror our neighbours. We are attached to them (semi).
When their extension was built, their builders left bricks sticking into our garden, which are extra to the extension but not part of it iyswim? We want to cut the bricks off so they are flush with their extension. At the moment, they form sort of a ledge at the bottom of the wall.
We would prefer to do this properly, so there are no come backs.

Who do we ask to come round and have a look to confirm it is safe to do, and will have no impact on their extension? I assume it would be some sort of a surveyor. Any idea how much it might cost??

Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now