Advanced search

Structural Eng or Architect

(2 Posts)
Moting Thu 17-Jan-13 06:52:42

We bought a house that requires work. We have a kitchen, breakfast room and a dining room that we want to knock through and create a kitchen diner. The wall between the breakfast room and dining room is load bearing. We even want a chimney we share with our neighbour removed in the breakfast room for the hob/range.
Should we call an Architect or a Structural Engineer? There are Architects who would call Structural Engineers. I have found structural engineers who offer architectural services. For this job, my instinct says to get a Structural Engineer. Has anyone done this and what did you do?
I live north east London, is there a professional you could recommend?

AnneEyhtMeyer Thu 17-Jan-13 07:39:59

An architect will draw plans and have ideas. A structural engineer will tell you what needs to be done to make it structurally safe.

If you know what you want I would be inclined to go to a structural engineer. If you need help with plans go to an architect who will then call in a structural engineer or will tell you to call one in.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: