Talk

Advanced search

wipeable paint - which is the best?

(8 Posts)
gussiegrips Mon 14-Jan-13 21:43:10

I don't want tiles in the kitchen/bathroom of our extension. Trying to get spag bol out of grout, or that stupid orange mould stuff off grout is something I'd rather not bother with...

...so, am having a 10cm splashback thingie all along my worksurfaces in the kitchen and a giant splashback behind the oven. Sink's in the island, so will be splashtastic.

I'm hoping to find a waterproof/greaseproof/dirtproof/chip proof/teflon paint.

Anyone able to tell me who makes this magical stuff?

Failing that, what's the nearest thing you've found?

Am hoping to get an orangey-rusty colour. Yes, for my kitchen. Yes, I'm having an orange kitchen. Wouldn't be my first choice, either, but if I agree to an orange kitchen then I get to have a mirror ball wired into the ceiling. Compromise in action.

PigletJohn Tue 15-Jan-13 00:18:10

vinyl silk is adequately hard wearing and washable, and can be repainted in a trice, so I use that above the splashbacks.

K&B might be overpriced for what it is, and I would suspect that a good curry or spag bog stain would need repainting anyway.

Interestingly, some pros recommend masonry paint in garages as being very durable and easy to wash down. It is quite cheap and easy to apply.

steppemum Tue 15-Jan-13 00:27:12

I have several variations on endurance/hardwearing/washable/kitchen and bathroom paints around our house, all done in th elast year.

They all seem to be pretty good. I like the matt finishes and was surprised they do the endurance paints in a matt finish, but they do. They all seem to be washable and marks come off.
I painted the girls bedroom inordinary matt emulsion and every finger mark shows and doesn't wipe, so now I am only buying the hardwearing paints for every room, because they have a lovely matt finish.
I don't have kitchen walls by my worksurfaces to wipe though.

Dulux in Homebase and B&Q own brand both do mix your own paints where you can sleect and mix any colour shade from their hundreds to choose from and they will mix it in either kitchen and bathroom, or endurance washable or ordinary matt or silk emulsion. You can get tester pots mixed too.
The kitchen ones may be a silk finish now I think about it...

steppemum Tue 15-Jan-13 00:28:02

Kitchen and bathroom is supposed to be moisture resistant for steamy cooking and mould resistant (more than their ordinary)

gussiegrips Tue 15-Jan-13 11:02:49

Oooh, that's great advice! Thanks, it's such a minefield of new information to figure out, I get a little lost.

Thanks, now I'll not feel like a total muppet in the aisles of B+Q...

orange paint.

Sheesh.

Deux Tue 15-Jan-13 13:25:49

I've always used Dulux Trade Diamond Matt. You can have it in any Dulux colour. It's fab and I mean navy blue magic marker wiped off without leaving a pale spot fab.

www.icipaints.co.uk/products/info/dulux_trade_diamond_matt.jsp

Deux Tue 15-Jan-13 13:29:25

Meant to say, I avoid the DIY sheds generally for paint and go to a decorator's merchant like Brewers. Might be worth visiting one?

Far more helpful and knowledgeable I have found.

gussiegrips Tue 15-Jan-13 13:55:54

That's a good idea, Deux. No Brewers nearby, but there is a wee independent place near me. Will go and nip in en route to school run.

Thanks. Here's hoping they have orange...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: