Talk

Advanced search

Paint peeling in the bathroom

(11 Posts)
jammic Sat 12-Jan-13 23:21:41

We're bringing our bathroom up to do date with a fresh lick of paint. The previous paint had peeled away from the walls, really badly in places - how can we stop this happening again? We're sanding the walls down and we've put a vent in there. We're planning on using kitchen/bathroom paint but is there anything else we can do?

luisgarcia Sat 12-Jan-13 23:26:20

undercoat / 50:50 mix of emulsion and water

PigletJohn Sat 12-Jan-13 23:53:40

also you ought to have an effective extractor fan, preferably wired to come on with the light switch and run on for 20 minutes after use.

A newish fan with a ball-bearing motor is very quiet, very very very cheap to run, and not much to buy.

A noisy fan is worn out and needs replacing.

The fan works best with window and door shut as it sucks in fresh warm air throuh the gap under the bathroom door and this prevents steam drifting round the house.

It is better not to have the fan directly above a bath or shower tray, as the electrical safety regulations are then more stringent and expensive.

jammic Sun 13-Jan-13 08:11:25

D'oh. I wrote vent but meant fan. Oopsie. But we've definitely not been using it right. We need to start closing the door and window. And will definitely get the paint. Thanks PJ, you're a star

RedHelenB Sun 13-Jan-13 10:13:15

Use bathroom paint - it's lasted great in my bathrroms.

yani Sun 13-Jan-13 10:15:42

Sugar soap the walls before re-painting. Grease and dirt can form a layer between the wall and new paint. When the new paint dries, it will start peeling again. bitter experience

jammic Sun 13-Jan-13 23:58:59

Yep, bathroom paint bought and ready to go : )

Yani would you use the sugar soap as well as sanding the walls? (Finished the sanding and filling this evening, yay!)

yani Mon 14-Jan-13 12:46:21

Jammic - Yes, sorry I probably would.

I'm sure it will look fab when finished grin

amazingmumof6 Mon 14-Jan-13 12:49:14

you need cover the area that's peeling with an oil based paint - try the same that you's use for woodwork or radiators - white gloss will do. then pait as usual with the kitchen&bathroom range

PigletJohn Mon 14-Jan-13 14:13:32

'mmmm

most other paint will not stick to gloss

if you really want to use an oil paint (which I wouldn't) an undercoat would do.

Emulsion is the normal treatment for bathroom walls. As long as the surface is prepared and cleaned, mist coats applied, and the room is properly ventilated so not damp, it will easily last 20 years.

amazingmumof6 Mon 14-Jan-13 16:57:15

not oil as such, but as I said the gloss type you put on doors, skirting boards. then cover with the kitchen/bathroom paint

we did this and it worked - friend's tip who's a decorator, but also saw it on telly, poor people painted toilet wall about 6 times, treated wall with all sorts of things in between, but this is the only thing that solved the problem

I'll leave it with OP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now