Talk

Advanced search

small upstairs bathroom, large downstairs,,

(8 Posts)
EdgarAllanPond Mon 07-Jan-13 09:02:52

upstairs bathroom is small - can just get standard size bath, tiny sink and loo into it.

it is a five bed house with all bedrooms upstairs - the bedrooms have sinks though there is a huge downstairs bathroom

so

better to

1) put in smaller than standard bath eg 1600 long
2) squeeze in standard bath even though sink would sit slightly over it
3) make it a shower room instead

there is a huge window that makes putting in a shower over the bath difficult

we are tarting up to sell, and i think most people buying would have teenage children

also, it is possible to put in an en suite in the main bedroom but only by redoing the whole hot water system (which would have to move) - i don't think this would add enough value to be worthwhile.

EdgarAllanPond Mon 07-Jan-13 09:04:04

oh and the other option is to sacrifice a bedroom to put a larger bathroom in, which is what the previous owners did.

Flatbread Mon 07-Jan-13 09:06:41

I would think a bathroom with a tub downstairs and a nice big walk in shower upstairs would work well.

middleagedspread Mon 07-Jan-13 09:33:58

Id agree with Flatbread.
Bath downstairs near the bedrooms, shower room upstairs. IME teenagers shower rather than bathe.

EdgarAllanPond Tue 08-Jan-13 13:42:52

you don't think people will be put off if the shower box goes right in front of a window?

jennybeadle Tue 08-Jan-13 13:45:54

We've done what Flatbread suggested. We love it. Never use the bath, but still have one, should the whim take us.

wendybird77 Tue 08-Jan-13 18:15:50

We've got an over bath shower with a large window. The previous owners solution was to run a bath curtain on both sides of the bath. I can't recommend this. I'd put very obscured glass in with a waterproof blind. Or block up the window if that is possible / doesn't wreck the outside of the house.

FishfingersAreOK Tue 08-Jan-13 22:08:16

Or use an Outasight shower screen to protect the window - we have one in our bathroom - have a lovely double ended bath - and tis supposed to be mainly a "bath" room IYSWIM- that is the focus. Have a great shower over but we mainly use the en-suite shower - the over bath one only really used when guest here. So didn't want a big glass screen in the way he whole time and had clingy curtains. The Outasight one is just a column (size of a chunky spirit level) attached to the wall and you lift it up to open it and pull the curtain up. ...cannot describe it well...see the link

I found it through a recommendation on here. Love it. Out of the way but works. www.mytub.co.uk/product_information.php?product=427643

PS - do not work for them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now