Talk

Advanced search

House hunting - what would you define as a busy road?

(8 Posts)
suebfg Sat 05-Jan-13 21:05:29

Have found a really nice house, however its rear garden backs onto a fairly busy road. There is a verge and some trees in between the garden and the road.

It's not a main road but is a long road that connects up a fair few of the local developments and connects up to the local A road.

Would this put you off?

LIZS Sat 05-Jan-13 21:07:46

No it wouldnlt, we have an a road at front which is main thoroughfare through village . Busiest periods are 7.30 - 9.00am and 5.00-6.00pm up to 60 cars per min and that feels busy .

noisytoys Sat 05-Jan-13 21:09:12

I live on a fairly busy road directly opposite a retail park with all the lorries and deliveries etc. I can't hear a thing it's fine smile

Springforward Sat 05-Jan-13 21:15:10

No. Our last house backed on to a dual carriageway, and the only impact was road noise in the garden, which we got used to. I wouldn't buy a house fronting the same type of road, though.

magimedi88 Sun 06-Jan-13 09:09:59

I would go & spend sometime on the 'fairly busy road'. See what it is like on a Saturday/Sunday morning (when you may want a lie in). See if it is a rat run at rush hour. Then decide.

superwhizzynewlaptop Sun 06-Jan-13 11:28:56

I used to live on an A road in London and hated it. When buying my ccurrent house I stated "no busy roads" defined as: no A roads, not a bus route, not a "main" road used by lorries. You'd be amazed how many houses I was shown on main thoroughfares confused

Your house doesn't sound too bad OP. Why not go loiter on the verge behind the house at times when you might value some peace and quiet and see what the road is like?

Chottie Sun 06-Jan-13 11:31:19

I would go there at all different times of the day and week too. I hate traffic noise.

suebfg Mon 07-Jan-13 08:38:28

It isn't a main thoroughfare. I think there is one regular bus that goes through once per hour and there are school buses in the morning and evening. The rest of the time it will be cars at 30 mph (if they stick to the speed limit).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: