Talk

Advanced search

Oak Doors or White Doors? Help!

(10 Posts)
FishfingersAreOK Sun 16-Dec-12 21:57:49

Am torn/indecisive ..(again)

Need to get internal doors for the downstairs of the house. We have managed to re-use the original 1930s doors upstairs...we had to paint these as there were various holes/dents etc to fill. They look fantastic. Black, iron door handles. Really pleased with them.

We are going for an identical style (one panel above 3 below) for the downstairs rooms. A door for the sitting room, for the under stairs cupboard, for the door between the kitchen & the futility. We are getting brand new doors this time as the cost of restoring/"originals" is not that much different - so we could potentially have oak doors -unpainted. My builder says these would look fantastic/better than painted - and we could always paint them in a few years.

But I am not sure. I have no doubt they would look beautiful unpainted. But am not sure if they are right for the look we have. We have white door frames/skirtings. We have white walls. Off white and wood furniture. Smoked oak flooring...

So am unsure if white doors would go better. Or will this mean too much white? Or oak doors - or with white skirtings/frames will it look wrong. And with oak flooring/dining room furniture/book cases will there me too much oak?

Arghhh....please help!

notMarlene Sun 16-Dec-12 21:59:38

White. Definitely.

ViperInTheManger Sun 16-Dec-12 22:01:40

Oak is so beautiful and you do have a lot of white. I think I'd go with the wood as you can always paint it in future if you don't like it, can't change it the other way.

MandaHugNKiss Sun 16-Dec-12 22:12:57

I'm pretty sure my personal preference would be white... especially if the colour of the doors doesn't match the floor (or there abouts). A contrast would jar, I think.

Try typing white frames oak doors in Houzz. I know it's american but there are a few shots which will give you an idea of the look you'd end up with.

FishfingersAreOK Mon 17-Dec-12 12:33:02

This is really useful, thank you. Can anyone recommend an on-line door supplier too please?

Rhubarbgarden Mon 17-Dec-12 19:28:05

I'd go with painted white, even though I'm generally a sucker for natural wood. You've got to think about the overall look.

FishfingersAreOK Mon 17-Dec-12 20:32:22

Rhubarb -perfect - you have summed it up brilliantly. I too am a sucker for natural wood and they wood (sorry) look amazing...but as a whole there wood blush be too much wood competing. I want the range, the floor the granite to be the focal points. Doors are just to shut grin

Painted tis then. May mean can go for cheaper pine then.

Rhubarbgarden Mon 17-Dec-12 22:47:51

smile

wendybird77 Mon 17-Dec-12 22:49:37

I'd do black to match upstairs doors. But I'm neurotic like that grin

Sperrin17 Sat 15-Mar-14 11:06:59

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now