Talk

Advanced search

Position of handle on bi fold door

(8 Posts)
weakestlink Tue 11-Dec-12 14:00:26

Bifold door into utility room needs to open both ways...

Where on earth do we put the handles / knobs?!

MandaHugNKiss Tue 11-Dec-12 18:06:47

I'm scratching my head at 'open both ways' - unless you mean 80s-tastic swinging western saloon doors that my aunt had between the living room and kitchen but you can't as they do not need handles.

Hmmm.

weakestlink Tue 11-Dec-12 18:13:39

Sorry - not being very clear am I!

What I mean is - these doors are being used for an actual room not just a cupboard / wardrobe so you need one handle on each side so you can get in and back out again!

GrumpyOldWomanToo Tue 11-Dec-12 18:26:22

You don't need a handle both sides to open a bifold... from the "outside", use the handle; from the "inside", push the centre of the bifold (at the hinges).

To close a bifold door from the "inside" you might need to put a handle near the hinges.

MandaHugNKiss Tue 11-Dec-12 18:32:57

Ahhh, I see.

Except, I don't. I mean I know what you want to achieve... just not quite sure how it would work other than if from one side you push to open and the other you pull/vice versa.

I was going to need a bifold for the bathroom as the full size door risked pushing anyone passing on the landing down the stairs, but plumped for a pocket door in the end. WOuld that be an option for you?

MandaHugNKiss Tue 11-Dec-12 18:34:20

x post with grumpy after I got distracted on the phone by a blinds/shutter saleswoman. At this time! Outrageous.

craftynclothy Tue 11-Dec-12 18:36:23

We have one on our bathroom. Handles are in the normal place for a door. Plenty of people have got trapped in though because it folds into the bathroom (i.e. can't press the middle to get out)

weakestlink Wed 12-Dec-12 07:28:20

It's already on so we have to have it!

I think I've made a terrible mistake. I've put a handle in the normal door place on the push side which doesn't really need a handle and no handle on the inside so people get trapped. It opens into the room as well crafty....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now