Talk

Advanced search

Bit of a tiling dilemma - is it possible to remove not all, but just certain ceramic tiles?

(9 Posts)
BendyBobsBrusselsSprouts Sat 08-Dec-12 20:06:15

Had kitchen tiled. Tiler has done a great job. As yet they are ungrouted. He's coming back tomorrow to do this. The trouble is I kind of regret one of the colours we (ok I) chose.

It's not a disaster, I could live with it, but if I say something now before he grouts everything in, is there any likelihood that he'll be able to remove the colour I'm not so keen on? Would it be any easier to do it at this stage? It would amount to about 1.5 sq m of tiles and they are randomly situated amongst the others.

Feeling a right numpty, I've not made a cock up like this before blush. Aaaargh!

CluffyDude Sat 08-Dec-12 20:10:00

Dh says yes it shouldn't be a problem but to expect to pay more (for tile guys time).
smile

bellabelly Sat 08-Dec-12 20:16:15

It is possible, I saw it on one of those home makeover shows where a few tiles were broken and needed replacing (they were plain white, so easy to match up new ones, I think). Unfortunately, I don't remember quite what had to be done but I do remember thinking t hat it looked much easier than I'd have thought. Without grouting am sure it'd be VERY easy, compared to with the grouting already done..

BendyBobsBrusselsSprouts Sat 08-Dec-12 20:18:49

Really? So sounds like it's worth at least asking him.

Of course it'll cost more as you say. Depending on that I'll have to consider if it's possible.

Dh is less than impressed with my change of heart and I don't blame himsad. I'm honestly not prone to cock ups on this scale but I do think now's the time to mention it before he grouts.

Thanks Cluffy to you and your dhsmile

BendyBobsBrusselsSprouts Sat 08-Dec-12 20:21:34

Thanks to you too Bella. Sounding hopeful.

PickledGerkin Sat 08-Dec-12 22:00:40

We have done this, moved into a house with feature hideous tiles, embossed fruit ones in an otherwise plain tiled kitchen.

We actually removed plain tiles from a wall where we removed cupboards in order to fit a fridge freezer in, and re-used those tiles where the embossed fruit ones were.

They were grouted in too.

Without grout, as yours are, it is very easy and the adhesive should still be easy enough to scrape out.

Your tiler won't be happy though as it is a bit of an arse to do but better to point it out now than when he has finished grouting. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

ISeeSmallPeople Sat 08-Dec-12 22:53:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BendyBobsBrusselsSprouts Sun 09-Dec-12 11:07:35

Thanks for all replies.

Ok well disaster averted. I've been swinging wildly as to whether I liked it or not. Decided to stick with it mainly because we just can't afford to start ripping bits off.

Anyway lovely tiler has grouted it all in and wow what a huge, huge difference that has made to how it looks! I love it now. Completelysmile.

Phew! Am so relieved.

bellabelly Sun 09-Dec-12 11:59:04

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now