Talk

Advanced search

Curtains and carpet necessary unfortunately necessary! Help keep it modern

(43 Posts)
CashewNuts Thu 06-Dec-12 21:04:08

ok well my interior style is usually stark White very modern, Elle deco type. this bedroom however is cold and road facing so the beautiful floor boards need to be covered. And the window needs curtains to insulate keep noise out, light etc. So what can I do to keep in with White room White bed and a piece or two of "designer type" furniture. Neutral carpets seem to be about, not sure a thick wooly fluffy one would work, and curtains well how can they look modern, is White a no no! Or could I really overdress windows to create something else.

All ideas welcome.

ceres Thu 06-Dec-12 21:28:12

if you want to continue down the all white route then go for different shades of white but use different textures.

or you could go for very pale shades - maybe silvery greys

i'd have a roman blind rather than curtains. you can have blackout lining, thermal linings etc same as curtains. velvet might be nice.

CashewNuts Thu 06-Dec-12 21:59:22

I should try and get some pics on net. Hard to imagine the window dressing. It automatically takes away that look we have in other rooms
Romans will be tricky as there is a curve

tethersjinglebellend Thu 06-Dec-12 22:10:10

What about sisal carpet?

I have this

CashewNuts Thu 06-Dec-12 22:14:20

Do like sisal had some samples for it a couple of years back for my parents. Is it comfy/warm to walk on?

tethersjinglebellend Thu 06-Dec-12 22:28:53

It doesn't feel like carpet- it's rough, but the one we have is tightly woven so doesn't feel uncomfortable.

Much warmer than wooden floors (get the thickest underlay you can), but not as warm as shagpile.

Amazingly hard wearing and hides a multitude of sins

Baubleswithdiamonds Thu 06-Dec-12 22:29:22

Ooh, interested in this too as we will have the same issue if/when we ever manage to move! The house is old and draughty with huge single glazed windows - current owners have billowing acres of silk curtains and deep carpets.

I'm hoping we'll get away with boards and rugs at least but the windows will be difficult - i think blinds would look odd on windows that size, as well as being too cold.

DH also has an aversion to all things grey (but likes everything modern) and I detest cream - I'm hoping we can compromise on some sort of stone off-white.

Any ideas welcome!

fresh Fri 07-Dec-12 07:43:02

You could go for a plain natural fabric for the curtains, such as linen or wool. Interline them so they look and feel luxurious. Have a look here for contemporary tracks which look like poles for bay windows. For the heading style, avoid pinch pleats, there's a pic on my profile of a cleaner way to do it.
Same principle for the flooring, plain, wool, very thick underlay. Minimalist doesn't have to mean stark!

CashewNuts Fri 07-Dec-12 12:47:37

Haha I do like stark. teathers found a gorgeous Carpet on that site. Will try for thickest underlay.
Baubles - I like grey but have done grey in other parts of house. Cream I can't do at all. Stone is nice. But it's the curtains that I'm stuck on now! And bed next problem. I'm more of a converted warehouse type, but family life/warmth etc takes over!

tethersjinglebellend Fri 07-Dec-12 13:20:40

Oooh, can you link?

CashewNuts Fri 07-Dec-12 13:42:10

www.alternativeflooring.com/collection/wool/chunky_wool/dapple/nougat.html

What do you think? It's not the sisal but wool. But not those fluffy types. Will go to the shop to see more. Maybe I'm leaving the original brief

or
www.alternativeflooring.com/collection/wool/chunky_wool/boucle/ecru.html
[[

SoozleQ Fri 07-Dec-12 13:48:21

Our bedroom is actually warmer both underfoot and generally now that we have got rid of the ridiculously thick underlay and carpet and just gone with the original wooden floor. The radiator is on the far side of the room and so the pipes leading to it obviously act as underfloor heating making it nice and warm underfoot. Previously the carpet was freezing underfoot because that heat had been kept under the underlay.

tethersjinglebellend Fri 07-Dec-12 13:53:09

Love them both, particularly the second one.

I think the woven style works really well.

CashewNuts Fri 07-Dec-12 14:13:20

Oh that's lovelysoozle my floor boards are gorg but it would never keep the room warm. You are probably benefitting from the piping. Must look lovely.
Thanks tethers I'm going to go on the weekend to stroke them!
Now curtains, maybe I shouldn't have windows!!

tethersjinglebellend Fri 07-Dec-12 14:15:40

You're nowhere near east London are you? We got a very good deal from a local supplier...

CashewNuts Fri 07-Dec-12 14:22:33

No opposite side
Do the prices vary?

tethersjinglebellend Fri 07-Dec-12 14:26:37

It's always worth pushing for a deal...

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Fri 07-Dec-12 14:37:43

Would you consider shutters? They do block out a bit of light but they're good for privacy and might give the minimalist look you're after.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Fri 07-Dec-12 14:39:45

We've used the California Company.

Bonsoir Fri 07-Dec-12 14:41:21

There are some fabulous designer carpets around. Elle Deco even features them!

A thick blind might be more in keeping with your style than curtains.

CashewNuts Fri 07-Dec-12 14:43:19

I'm not too worried about light as back of house is south facing sun sets by this room.
Do u think they would be insulating? And private?

CashewNuts Fri 07-Dec-12 14:47:31

Thanks shotgun

Yes you are right bonsoir some fab carpets I suppose I'm mourning the covering of the floor boards.

Bonsoir Fri 07-Dec-12 14:56:13

Could you not get a really thick designer rug and leave a small (10 cm) area free around it?

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Fri 07-Dec-12 17:23:47

I think that's the solution I'd go for - seems a shame to cover the floorboards if they're attractive. Or one of the carpets you like could probably be made into a rug - I think those natural flooring companies offer that as a service. You can usually choose your edge-binding as well.

CashewNuts Fri 07-Dec-12 21:34:08

Could do, the room is like a fridge at the moment so hard to tell after replastering insulating the ceiling etc what it'll be like but we are detached and generally it's a cold house and thats a cold room. Rest of house, living areas, are wood with rugs, as we don't sleep there it's bearable. But I'm just worried about the cold and we'll have a new born in with us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now