Advanced search

Specialist Insurance (Grade II listed, empty)

(11 Posts)
middleagedspread Wed 28-Nov-12 11:40:01

Before I spend hours going round in circles on google I thought I'd ask here.
Just about to exchange on an old wreck that will be empty for at least a year while we do it up.
I understand that I may need to find specialist building insurance & wondered it you had any recommendations?
Thanks in advance

GrendelsMum Wed 28-Nov-12 12:52:25

Have a chat to NFU Mutual - they're a fairly standard insurer for listed buildings and we've found them extremely helpful on the couple of occasions we've needed to claim, plus relaxed about the sort of thing we might have expected insurers to get huffy about.

DigWeedSow Wed 28-Nov-12 12:58:21

Hi, I 've just had to take out unoccupied property insurance whilst renovation work is being under taken (although not for a listed property). After lots of ringing around I have finally gone with as they were the cheapest and most helpful.

middleagedspread Wed 28-Nov-12 13:16:02

That's great, thank you. I'll try both.

CMOTDibbler Wed 28-Nov-12 13:20:01

NFU would be good to try, as would Hiscox - I'm not sure if they have a specific unoccupied building cover, but when DH worked there, he certainly dealt with a lot of claims for listed buildings and those being renovated.
With a listed building you really need someone whose claims staff are experienced enough to deal with the complexities of repairing one should something happen

middleagedspread Wed 28-Nov-12 13:26:07

Just to let anyone else reading this know
NFU won't insure unoccupied properties.
click4quote won't insure listed, unoccupied properties.
Back to the drawing board.

middleagedspread Wed 28-Nov-12 13:43:29

Thanks CMO, Hiscox won't cover properties being renovated that are empty.
Other folks must buy & do up old houses, this is so frustrating.

GrendelsMum Wed 28-Nov-12 16:58:01

I guess that's one advantage of living in the place while you do it up...

CMOTDibbler Wed 28-Nov-12 17:02:40

Ring an insurance broker - they'll be able to find someone for you if the direct insurers can't help

ClareMarriott Wed 28-Nov-12 17:10:50

You could ring the insurance brokers I used to work for and see if they could help. It's Norman Butcher and Jones on 020 8290 6900

middleagedspread Wed 28-Nov-12 17:14:57

Thanks so much.
I'm waiting for a broker & under writer to call me back. If no luck I'll follow up Clare's lead.
Your advice is much appreciated.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: