Talk

Advanced search

Chancel Search

(9 Posts)
LondonSuperTrooper Thu 22-Nov-12 11:46:17

Does anyone know whether I can carry out the chancel search myself? My solicitor allocated by my would be mortgage provider refuses to carry out the search (as they just don't do it!). The solicitor would rather that I took out indemnity insurance at a cost of £25 per year. I would rather know IYSWIM. A local solicitor wants to charge me £110 +VAT for fees as well as the £18 for the actual search!! I feel like I’m being ripped off somehow hmm

So, has anyone carried out the search themselves? If so, please can you recommend a company?

Thanks!

ClareMarriott Thu 22-Nov-12 12:02:43

I don't know myself but you could check out www.chancelrepairsearches.co.uk

nocake Thu 22-Nov-12 18:32:32

Don't bother doing it or buying the insurance. IMHO it's a scam. Unless you have a liability specifically mentioned in your deeds the chance of you having to pay anything to the church is vanishingly small. If you do have to pay then it's calculated according to an ancient formula and spread across all the houses in the area, meaning your share will probably be tiny.

The company who do the searches are the same company who sell the insurance... massive conflict of interest.

Eglantyne Thu 22-Nov-12 18:46:15

Just do it yourself! Work out which Cof E parish the house is in, find out the age of the church (if it's 20th C then there's definitely nothing to worry about), then email the church or the local history society. The National Archives website has a leaflet about it too.

LondonSuperTrooper Thu 22-Nov-12 20:01:56

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking into all of your suggestions now.

GrannyRat Thu 22-Nov-12 20:02:46

You can order the Chancelcheck Search here for £18

LondonSuperTrooper Fri 23-Nov-12 09:18:48

Thanks Granny I did that last night smile

senua Fri 23-Nov-12 10:57:37

"My solicitor allocated by my would-be mortgage provider "

hmm That's half your problem. Get your own independent solicitor and/or a different mortgage provider.

Toomuchtea Sat 24-Nov-12 11:36:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now